Chapter 39: Damsels in Distress III (The King)

LORELEI

LORELEI

NGAYON PA lamang nagsi-sink in ang lahat sa utak ko. Loki's father sent those men in black to school and had us kidnapped so they could bring us here? No matter where you look at it, the whole affair sounded so silly and absurd. Why did we have to go through that locked room in the first place?

My eyes observed the facial features of the old man staring at us. One of his eyes was looking back at me while the other was looking elsewhere. Most strands of his hair has turned white while some remained gray. What caught my attention wasn't his looks, but his aura. Unlike the Mendez brothers, he did not give me their signature "cold and expressionless" vibes. He was warmer than I thought.

"Hugh! Bring some chairs for these lovely ladies, will yah?" he ordered to one of the men in black standing at the foot of the gazebo. Hugh Iniguez smiled at me as he brought in two more iron chairs around the table. I became more annoyed when I remembered that he knocked us out using that weird gas.

"Come here, ladies! Come!" Loki's father called on us. His broad frame blocked the sun setting across the horizon. "Huwag kayong matakot sa akin, hindi ako nangangagat."

Nagkatinginan muna kaming dalawa ni Jamie bago lumapit sa mesa. She was trying to suppress a smile across her lips. She must be thinking, "My God! I'm about to meet my father-in-law" or something along those lines.

"Odinaire Mendez." The old man introduced himself, offering his enormous right hand to us for a shake. His stature, his voice and the way he presented himself gave off a majestic aura. Parang kausap ko ang isang hari habang kaharap siya. "I'm the father of these two handsome men. It runs in the veins, eh? Mendez are good looking fellows."

"I'm Lorelei Rios, sir. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Rios! You're the daughter of Walter, aren't you?" Nang kamayan niya ako, damang-dama ko kung gaano siya kalakas. I thought the bones in my hand would be crushed by how he gripped on them. "Is your father still eating death threats for breakfast? Ah, sanay na siya kaya wala nang dapat ikagulat pa. Send my regards to him."

Hindi ko alam kung sadyang nataon lang o talagang mapaglaro ang tadhana ngunit magkakilala pala ang papa ko at papa ni Loki. Days before the celebration of my dad's birthday, he consulted a certain someone about the mysterious gifts he had received. And as it turned out, that certain someone was none other than Loki's dad.

"And I'm Jamie! I've been wanting to meet you for a long time, sir!" Jamie has never been so enthusiastic while introducing herself. Parang isa siyang fan girl na ngayon pa lang nakita ang kanyang idol. Mukhang tama nga ang hinala ko sa iniisip niya kanina.

"Take a seat, please! Take a seat!" Odinaire motioned to the two vacant chairs on the right side, adjacent to Loki's. "Two gorgeous ladies seated beside my two equally gorgeous sons! I have never felt so happy in my life!"