Chapter Sixteen | Paul vs. Sebastian

A couple days later, Felicity was watching her father work on their farm when Paul ran onto the property, panting but clearly excited, and quite pleased with himself.
    "Paul?" Felicity cried, turning towards her friend, "What are you doing here? Volunteering to help my father out?"
    "Of course not, I have a plan!" Paul exclaimed, "And it's brilliant."
    "Is this still to do with Sebastian?"
    "Yes! Darrel is sure that they're just friends, but we both know that Sebastian wants loads more than that. Like, you know..."
    "Paul!"
    "Sorry. But anyways, I have a way to make Darrel see that."
    "And then what? She's going to fall madly in love with you because she'll be grateful that you exposed him?
    "Well...yeah."
    Felicity rolled her eyes.
    "What?" Paul cried.
    "It's not going to work," Felicity replied, in a very know-it-all tone.
    "Why not?"
    "What if, when Darrel realizes that Sebastian has feelings for her, she decides to court him, instead of you?"
    "She won't. She sees him as just a friend, she told me."
    "But she sees you as more than a friend? Oh do use some common sense Paul. Darrel sees Sebastian as more of a potential suitor than you."
    Paul was shocked, and slightly hurt by the lack of support from his friend. He looked down at his shoes.
    "I'm sorry Paul," Felicity said softly, "that was out of order."
    "You think Sebastian's better than me?" Paul inquired.
    "No! Of course not."
    "So why is he a more likely candidate?"
    "I've just seen the way she looks at him."
    Paul groaned and stormed out.

The next day, Paul had decided to forgive Felicity and the two of them walked into the village.
    "What's with the smirk?" Felicity asked.
    "My plan will come to life in just a matter of minutes," Paul replied.
    "Do drop it Paul, before you get hurt."
    "I can't."
    Felicity sighed. A few minutes later, the two friends bumped into Darrel and Sebastian, who were also on an afternoon walk.
    "Paul," Sebastian said coldly.   
    Paul ignored the prince and knelt in front of Darrel.
    "Darrel Elizabeth Crawley," Paul smiled, "I respect that we're still young, but I can't imagine a future without you being my wife. You will be the best queen England has ever seen and I hope to be your duke. Darrel, will you marry me...eventually?"
    Paul produced a tiny box from his pocket and opened it, to reveal a beautiful engagement ring. It was silver, with glittering diamonds. Darrel stood in shock.
    "Are you out of your mind?" Sebastian cried.
    "No, of course not," Paul smiled, getting up, "what do you say, my darling?"
    "Darrel's not good enough for you!"
    "Oh, but you're good enough for her?"
    "Yes! You were never particularly interesting but especially now, with Darrel's true parentage revealed, she's going to need someone of king material. Someone who's strong, powerful and knows how to rule a country."
    "Thanks for describing all of my good qualities."
    "I am to be the King of Spain. You are the son of a farmer, and lucky enough that Darrel ever gave you a second glance."
    Paul launched himself towards Sebastian and wrestled him to the ground.
    "Paul! Sebastian! Stop it!" Felicity cried.
    "Get off me you bastard!" Sebastian roared.
    "You're the bastard!" Paul snapped, "You sad excuse for a prince!"
    Darrel looked around and saw Thomas leaving the post office.
    "Mr. Barrow, do stop this," she pleaded.
    Thomas went over and managed (with great difficulty), to pull Paul off of Sebastian. Both boys had dirt all over their clothes and a bloody nose.
   "What is going through your mind Paul?" Darrel demanded, "We've never discussed even courting, and now you're proposing to me?"
    "Oh, this wasn't a real proposal," Paul shrugged, "I just wanted you to see that Sebastian sees you as more than a friend."
    "I'm not stupid Paul. I've known since I was 11!"
    "Really?" Sebastian gasped.
    "I'm not blind Sebastian, and you're pretty obvious. I see the way you look at me when you seem to think I'm looking the other way."
    "Oh..."
    Darrel took a deep breath then turned back to Paul.
    "And even if I didn't realize that Sebastian had a thing for me, how dare you pull such a stunt!" Darrel cried.
    "I..." Paul started.
    "No. Don't even speak. You had no right to pretend to propose or to pick a fight with Sebastian."
    "Ha," Sebastian smirked.
    Darrel turned to Sebastian, "And you had no right to insult Paul in the way that you did."
    "Ha," Paul smiled.
    "Oh God, both of you are being simply childish and right now, I can't deal with either of you. Mr. Barrow, would you mind escorting me back to the Abbey?"
    "Of course not m'lady," Thomas nodded.
   Thomas and Darrel walked off, leaving the boys to feel rather guilty about their mistakes while Felicity had a very smug look on her face.
    "I knew it wouldn't work," she smirked.
    "Oh, wipe that look off your face, will you?" Paul snapped.
    "I told you to leave it alone."
    "Yeah, why don't you pay more attention to the one girl who can actually stand your presence?" Sebastian suggested.
    "Shut up!" Paul ordered, "She doesn't want to look at you either."
    "Your offence is graver than mine."
    "Mark my words Sebastian, when Darrel becomes Queen Elizabeth the Second, I will be her Duke."
    "In your dreams. Before you know it, she will be the Queen of England, and of Spain."
    Paul scoffed as Sebastian strutted off.
    "He's going to win," Felicity predicted.
    "Shut up," Paul snapped.
    "I'm trying to spare you a heartbreak. Look, I think right now, Darrel needs a friend. So let Sebastian court her, and just be there for her."
    "Never."
    Paul stormed off