Maxon's First Choice

America's POV

"America... I wanted to choose you."
When Maxon said that, my whole body sunk.
"But... but you said you would be glad when I was gone."
"America I didn't mean what I said at The Choosing Ceremony. I told you that."
"What about after the attack. I saw you and Kriss in your bedroom. She was smiling and laughing. You guys were hugging and you both seemed so happy."
"America... I planned on telling her that I was choosing you. But before I had the chance a guard came in and told me that you had left. I thought you didn't want to be with me. I had no choice but to choose Kriss."
When Maxon said that I felt horrible.
We could have been together if I had just stayed at the palace for five more minutes.
"Why did you never come after me."
"I wanted to America, but I thought you didn't want me to. So I stayed here, and married Kriss."
"Are you happy with Kriss?"
I cursed myself for asking, but I had to know. I wanted Maxon to be happy.
"We are good. I guess."
"Good."
I wanted Maxon to be happy. And even though I wished I was the one making him happy, I was glad to know that Kriss was doing her job. Maxon deserved it. He helped people like Marlee and Carter find there happiness. It was only fair that he found his.

Maxon's POV

I hated lying to America. The truth is I wasn't happy, I was miserable. Everyday I woke up and missed America. And when I wasn't thinking of her, I was busy trying to run a country. I had no life of my own. I was constantly stressed. And Kriss was to naive to notice.
"It's probably a good thing you didn't choose me." America says.
"Why do you say that?" I ask confused.
" I could never be a good queen. I don't have what it takes."
When America said she would not be a good queen. I rolled my eyes. She would be a perfect queen. She was a fighter. And that's what our country needed, someone like her. She was everything we needed. Everything I wanted. She was perfect.
But it was to late. Kriss was queen.
And se was an okay queen. America would have been better. Kriss refuses to see the problems with Illea. It was the same from when my father was King. And I hated it.
"America you would have been a wonderful queen."
And I leave it at that.
And then Ahren wakes up and starts crying.
America runs over to him and picks him up out of the crib.
I watched from a distance as America rocked him back and forth in her arms trying to calm him. I smiled to myself. She was such a great mom.
Soon Ahren is calm and stops crying. America kisses his forehead and places him back in the crib and walks back over to me.
"What happened?" I whispered.
"He had a nightmare."
"Oh. Does that happen often?
"Yah. Ahren gets about 3 nightmares like that a week."
"Poor guy."
"They are getting better"
"That's good."
"I should go." I say.
"Ok."
I leave the room and head to the Kings Suite.
When I go through the door, Kriss is there on my bed with her arms crossed.
"Hello, Kriss."
"Where have you been Maxon!"
"No where, my dear."
I did not want to lie to Kriss. But what do I tell her. That I was in America's room.
If I tell her that I will have to explain Eadlyn and Ahren.
"You're lying!"
"No I'm not."
"I know you were with her!"
"Who?"
"AMERICA!!"she yelled louder than I thought she was capable of doing.
"Kriss I'm sorry. But it's not what looked like I swear!"
"So then what were you two doing!"
I could not tell her about everything but I could bend the truth.
"I was visiting her twins."
"Really?! Do you think I believe that!? Why on Earth would you want to see those BRATS! You just wanted to see America!"
Angry tears were running down her face. Part of me wanted to comfort her. But the other part, wanted to scream at her for calling the twins brats and accusing me of cheating on her.
Kriss and I never fought. Sure we had our disagreements but we never yelled and she never accused me of cheating.
"Kriss you need to trust me!"
"I love you! Not America! I choose you not her! I almost forgot about her until she showed up here."
Those sentences were all a bunch of lies. All untrue.But if that's what she needed to hear.
"I want to believe you Maxon but I Can't! I think you should go!"
"Wait.. Kriss please let me explain!"
"Okay, what's your excuse." She said the calmest I have seen her all night.
I wanted to tell her the truth. I cared about her and I didn't want her to think that America would do that. But I wasn't ready to tell her about the twins.
"... I can't."
" GET OUT!!!"
"The reason I went to visit America's twins was because they aren't just America's..."
"They are mine."

America's POV

I was rounding the corner to Maxon's room.
I could not sleep and was wondering if he wanted to walk in the gardens so we could talk about the twins. Like the old times.
I smiled at the thought.
I was about to knock on the door when I heard yelling.
"Kriss please you need to trust me!"
Were Kriss and Maxon fighting? Did he tell her about the twins?
I was about to leave but then I heard my name.
"I love you! Not America! I choose you not her! I almost forgot about her until she showed up here."

Tears started to run down my face.
I ran out of the hallway and all the back to my room.
When I got inside I collapsed onto the bed.
Was he lying to me tonight when he said he wanted to choose me. Did he say just so I would feel better.
Did he really forget about me.
Because I never forgot about him.

Authers Note
Thank you so much for reading!! Once agin sorrry for the late update I will try to post once a day at around 1:00 that usually when I finish. I feel like so much happened in this chapter and I can't wait to start writing the next chapter!!
~ Alison 🤓 ✌️🤘✌️
QOTD: what is your favorite book/book series
AOTD: The Selection Series. It is the best thing ever