Chapter Twenty-Four

Sebastian entered the room. The door swung open and slammed against the wall, making Scar and I both flinch. There was something unnatural about the way Sebastian was standing. His hand wasn't even on the doorknob. He didn't make a sound or move. I could feel Scar straighten his back.

Sebastian's eyes were glassy, like he wasn't even real. I tried stepping forward, but Scar instantly shot his arm out as a barrier. I looked at Sebastian again. Worry creased into my stomach, and I could feel the nervous heat from Scar's back. Something was definitely off.

Sebastian's mouth was open and the grimace looked permanent on his face. I opened my mouth to ask if he was okay, but Sebastian suddenly titled over. His body hit the ground with a disgusting thud. It was then that we both noticed the blood seeping from his back in thick, clotted globs.

A scream filled the room. I clamped a hand over my mouth, realizing it had been my own. Tears filled my eyes, making it hard to see but I could still make out the lifeless form of Sebastian behind Scar's back. Ragged, uncontrollable sobs escaped my mouth. Scar remained silent, and I knew that the worst hadn't even begun yet.

"Guess I was wrong." Scar whispered. He didn't even sound the least bit upset. I shrunk behind his body, hating myself for being such a coward. This had been a useless trip, one that cost Sebastian's life. We should have known Scar didn't need saving. But it was too late to go back.

A man appeared behind Sebastian's unmoved body. A sneer twisted his lips up. He was heavily built with a thick mustache and turtleneck. I didn't miss the black gun in his hands. Scar muttered something under his breath, but I was too scared to ask what he had said.

The pitter patter footsteps of more Bratva men sounded from above the ceiling. Scar didn't wait for them to find us. He leaped forward and grabbed the man with both hands, kicking Sebastian accidentally. I wiped my useless tears away and tried to make sense of the situation.

There came a sickening crack from where Sebastian and the man fought. I saw Scar pause and look down in anger at his hand. It was bent in a strange angle, but he didn't stop. The man kicked at Scar's shins, which he skillfully dodged. The gun had been thrown to the floor in their hassle. 

Scar noticed it the same moment the Bratva did. There was a frigid pause...and then they both leaped for the gun. All the while, I had been standing uselessly in the corner, watching it with tear-filled eyes. Something in my mind screamed for me to get out.

Scar grabbed the gun before the man could. It was like it happened in slow motion. I couldn't hear anything but a watery sound in my ears, a slow roaring of shock-induced bliss. Even though I had guessed it was inevitable, the fact didn't stop me from losing my sense of humanity.

"Scar, don't-"

I had spoken too late. The blast rang through the room. A shrill, ringing noise filled my ears. I saw the man drop to the floor, still flailing his arms wildly in an attempt to reach for Scar. Thick, red blood oozed from his head, right above the ear. He bled onto the floor, twitching uncontrollably before coming to a stop.

"What the fuck did you do?" I had never cursed before, but this seemed like the perfect moment to break the rules. I had already lost enough of my innocence, and it just wasn't worth keeping anymore. 

Scar gripped the gun tightly, staring at the man he had just shot. Then he shook his head, as if coming out of a trance. When he looked at me, I could clearly see the will to survive. It scared me to see that he would go as far as killing to get out alive. If he was capable of doing that, what else would Scar do?