Chapter 1: "The Protest"

Six months, that is the number of months that had passed since the monsters had reappeared aboveground.

As expected, not every human was thrilled that they showed back up. Some just didn't say anything and some acted upon it trying to send them back before they 'turned savage'.

And there were those that believed that they had never deserved to be locked down there in the first place, you hadn't really made up your mind yet. Perhaps you were waiting to meet one, or maybe you just didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Anybody who saw you would probably assume you were a monster hater, and that was understandable because you often went to monster protests with two of your friends, Grace and Audrey.

They both despised monsters, Grace said it was because one killed her great, great, great grandmother years ago and Audrey just did for no reason. Their opinions had rubbed off on you so you had begun to fear monsters.

You had only seen them from a distance before, you had never interacted with one so it felt somewhat wrong to judge them. But, sometimes it was best to trust what people tell you. For example, if you were told that a wasp could sting you would you let it sting you because you didn't believe the person who explained it, or would you take their word for it?

Today you, Grace and Audrey were protesting the opening of a monster café called 'Muffet's'. You tried to get out of coming but somehow you got dragged along anyway.

The crowd was fairly large, there was sixty-seven people there. And that's not including you or your friends.

Audrey brought a homemade protest sign that said "Monsters are MONSTERS, that's period!" and Grace brought one saying "Our children are in danger and our streets are unsafe!".

They weren't the only ones with signs. Other people's signs said "Send them back!" and "Down with the monsters!". One even said "Monsters are from the fiery depths of hell!".

"(Y\N), I thought we told you to bring a sign!" Audrey complained.

"Yeah, (Y\N), I thought you said you were going to make one!" Grace remarked.

"I said I might make one," You responded.

"Come on! Don't be scared to share our message. The monsters need to go as soon as possible!" Grace held her sign up in the air and chanted along with the crowd "Go monsters, go home! Go monsters, go home!" Over and over again.

"Yeah, c'mon you're such a wimp." Audrey remarked before she joined in with the chanting.

You bit your lip before you sighed and joined in, you chanted the hateful words which filled the air and echoed around you. Audrey and Grace were planning on holding their own protest soon and were trying to get you to help them get the word out.

The hate shown by the people here could cause the segregation of these two races. That just didn't seem right to you. But, monsters still scared you regardless. They could kill you, take your soul and instantly become godlike but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe it was just a myth and it couldn't even happen in the first place. Or, maybe the monsters were too kind to do such a thing.

A guy wearing a light blue polo shirt and gray camouflage cargo shorts ran out from the crowd and jumped onto a table outside of the café.

"Are we going to stand for this?!" He asked the crowd.

"No!" Everyone in the crowd except you shouted in response.

"We can't let these beasts around our families! Who's with me?!" He asked loudly.