Chapter Forty-Four

Becky was doing research on one of the library computers when the school bell rang. She looked at the clock. Linc's training started at three-thirty but with all the setting up and getting organized Rob had to do he wouldn't have time to talk.

"Mrs. Cook." Becky headed to the checkout desk where the teacher librarian sat. "Excuse me, Mrs. Cook."

"Yes, Becky?" Tracey Cook had pink hair today. It was set in swirls and curls. Her glasses scooped up at the sides. She was young and always dressed in Rockabilly fashion. Today she wore a smart red dress with black stripes on the sleeves, double-breasted black buttons on the bodice and a black bow tie. It looked a lot like a navy uniform. All the kids loved Mrs. Cook.

"Do you mind if I stay a bit? I'm right in the middle of my research and I don't have the internet at home."

"Of course, Becky." Tracey smiled. No internet. What kind of family in today's world didn't have internet? "I'm here until four-thirty. Stay as long as you need." She watched Becky head back to the cubicle. She had heard stories about Becky Bridgestone. They were hard to believe because the girl was always respectful to her.

Rob kept looking over at the grandstand. Still no Becky. He looked at his phone for the time. Four-fifteen. He hadn't had a chance for even a quick hello all day and now it looked like he wouldn't see her this afternoon.

"Alright. Let's pack up then we'll just have enough time for some warm down exercises." The boys collected the cones and threw the balls in the bag.

Rob ran them through the group of stretching exercises he had planned then looked at his phone again. "Okay. That's it for today. Good work everyone." He high fived each boy as he passed, picked up the ball bag, threw it over his shoulder, and then lifted the pile of cones.

Rob looked over at the seats again. He grinned. Becky was waiting by the gate. She rubbed Linc on the head, and then smiled over at him as he walked toward her. Rob beamed back at her.

Becky dropped her head and turned around. What should she do? No one knew about her and Rob yet and she wanted to keep it that way for a bit. At least until he was sure it was what he wanted. She fiddled with Linc's school bag, pretending to rearrange it so his ball could fit. She needed to stall so everyone had a chance to leave. Becky upended the bag. Everything fell on the ground. She quickly looked around. Lizzy was the only one watching her. "Shit. Stupid me." Becky shrugged, knelt down, and slowly put everything back.

"Hi, Rob."

Becky looked over her shoulder to see Lizzy standing up close in front of Rob. What the?

"Hey, Lizzy."

Becky picked up each of Linc's books one at a time and listened.

"Could you give me and Jake a lift home?" Lizzy ran her hand up Rob's arm. She was smiling like a girl with something for sale as she added, "He's hurt his foot."

Becky watched Lizzy's brother jump down each tread at the far end of the grandstand. Linc was at the bottom watching him. He didn't have a sore foot.

"Sorry, Lizzy." Becky listened as Rob spoke. "Can't today. I've gotta get to work." He laughed as he stepped around her and put the cones on the ground. "His foot doesn't look too sore to me."

Becky smiled at the ground. Lizzy was trying to make a play but Rob was too quick for her. She lifted the bag. "Linc!" Becky waved him over. "We've got to go." She turned to see Lizzy's sour face staring at Jake jumping over the rail of the seating.

"Jake!" Lizzy screamed and stormed to where her brother was playing.

Rob chuckled again. He looked down at Becky and brushed her cheek with his little finger. "Hey."

"Hey." Becky took a small step back to create a bit of distance and noted Rob frown at her. "You can't do that in public. Lizzy will see," she blurted and headed towards the school buildings as she called over her shoulder, "Linc!"

When she was out of sight, she headed to the sports storage room and waited. She could hear voices. Drew and Rob came around the corner carrying the equipment. Shit. Drew. Becky shot off around the corner of the building.

"Where's Becky, Rob?"

Bloody hell. Linc. Becky bit her lip hoping he wouldn't say anything about her and Rob in front of Drew.

"I don't know, mate." Rob screwed up his mouth. He wasn't sure what was going on. Girls? He really had no clue most of the time. "Just hang here a bit and if she doesn't come back in a minute I'll help you look for her, okay?"

"Okay."

Becky heard clanging noises, and then the sound of a door being locked.

"See ya, Drew." Rob's voice came to her.

Then Drew's. "Yeah. See you tomorrow."

Becky peered around the corner. All clear. She stepped out.

"Where have you been?" Linc held his palms out to her.

She looked from him to Rob but Rob turned away from her and went to the drink tap without any acknowledgement.

"Just around the corner." Becky nudged her head, and then went and stood by Rob until he looked up. "You're shitty with me?"

"Yep." He put his hands on his hips. "What was that all about, Becky?"

"No one knows. They think we hate each other. What did you expect me to do?"

"Be normal." Rob sighed. "That could be a good start."

"But I was being normal. That is normal for us, Rob." She didn't understand why he was so angry. "This might not work between us. If it doesn't, then what? We go back to hating each other. Isn't it better to keep it quiet until you know if you really want us in your life?" She glanced at Linc. "I say us because that is what it is, Rob."

Rob got it. He just wasn't sure how to answer her. They hadn't had a chance to talk about how they would act around their friends. "We need to talk about this some more, Becky, but I'm sorry I don't have time now. I've gotta get to work."

He cocked his head and gave her a sad look. "You think about how you want to do this because I don't care." Rob ran a finger down her nose and smiled. "You think too much. Girls always think too much about other people. Guys just do. So I'm saying let's just do this and who gives a fuck about what people think or what happens in the future." He chuckled. "Let future Becky and Rob worry about it if it doesn't work out."

Rob bent down and planted a kiss on her lips. "I gotta go." Rob held up his hand, walked backwards and flashed a big smile at her. "See ya, Linc."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Thank you all. Please remember to vote, comment and follow.

I really appreciate it  ♥♥