29 • The Beginning

Eva found Terrence leaning against her locker a few weeks later; it was one of those days where Eva miraculously turned up early at school instead of just seconds away from the warning bell

"Heya," he grinned, windswept red hair and all.

"Hi," she smiled back.

"You're early today," he commented, tucking his hands into his pockets as he scooted away so that she could access her locker. "Usually I'd wait a few minutes after the first bell and you'd still not be here so I'd take off to my class."

Eva stopped rummaging inside her locker, and glanced at Terrence in pure surprise. "What?" she asked, the slightest bit amazed. "You wait for me here every morning?"

He shrugged, as if it wasn't that big of an issue to him. "Sure, yeah," he replied. "I think this is the third time it has actually worked though considering how rarely you're on time." He grinned at the end, eyes crinkling with warmth at the edges as he gazed at her with something Eva couldn't name.

"Right," she blinked, still trying to wrap her head around the fact that the handful number of other times she'd found him at her locker weren't mere coincidences; that he somehow always found his way to her on the days that she was early.

But that he was there, by her locker, waiting every single day even with the knowledge that eight times out of ten, she wouldn't show up until after he'd left for his first period class. Terrence was always waiting for a possibility that had a good chance of never happening, and that softened Eva a little bit.

"What if I'd never shown up early on any of those days?" she asked curiously. "Or today?"

"Then that bell would've still rung, and I would've still gone to class," he smiled gently. "You weren't making me late for class or anything, Eva. Stop worrying."

Eva sighed and shut her locker. "Good," she muttered, but with a kinder edge to her voice. "You're all the teachers' favourite, I don't want to take that away."

Terrence furrowed his brows, his expression turning serious for a moment. "You're not taking anything away."

Eva adjusted her bag on her shoulder and began walking down the hall as the first bell cut through the relaxed air, sending students flying to their classes with loud bangs of locker doors. "Yes, but, you know. You're the star student. Don't spoil that because of- of me. It's stupid."

A familiar hand curled around her wrist, making her pause in her tracks and turn around. Terrence's hand was familiar, yes, but that gentle grip was not. He held her like she was a ceramic doll, or something made out of glass, and Eva wondered why he'd be afraid of breaking something that was never fully built in the first place.