Chapter Seven: Strike Three, You're Out

"Naomi, are you listening to me?"

I blinked and looked up to Declan. I shook my head. "No, sorry Declan, I wasn't."

He looked at me then looked back to the office. "Is something wrong? What's happening in that office? What will happen to those idiots?"

"I-I don't know," I said. "I can only guess. One time a kid chewed gum right in front of Principal Barnes and she suspended him for a month."

"Seriously? A month?"

"Yeah," I said glumly, "a month."

Declan frowned at that and leaned against the wall. He sighed and scratched his neck, and looked back at me. "Hey Naomi, why do you look so sad?"

I shook my head, looking at the ground. "I'm worried. Aren't you?"

He snorted. "Why should I be?"

I stared at him. "What they did will get them suspended, even worse, expelled."

He raised an eyebrow and laughed. "Ooh, I'm so scared, they won't go to school for a month. Do you think they'll actually care? Really, no school for a week is like a present to them for being idiots. C'mon Naomi, even I know you're smarter than that."

"But..." my voice faltered.

But Raymond was right. Strike one and strike two. School has barely started and already two of the three of them were dragged to the principal's office. Now I only have one guard to defend me. When Declan is gone, I mean if Declan is gone, the tower is left defenseless. That'll be strike three. Then Raymond will be right there to comfort me. Notice the sarcasm in that sentence? 

But then I thought of how selfish I must sound. I'm too busy being scared for myself and not for my... c'mon Naomi, you can do it... f-f-fr... Try again... f-f-f-r-r-i... It's just one word... f-fr-fr- Friday, no, not that, fridge... fr-fried chicken, not that, okay, one last try... fr- fr- friends. There I said it. The Three Musketeers are my... friends. Phew, that was tougher than it looks. Even with Declan's assurance, I'm still worried for them.

"But what?" There was a slight pause before it finally dawned to him. "You're scared."

For some reason I blushed at that. "Yeah, yeah I am."

"Now that you know you shouldn't be worried about them, you're worried about yourself," he said in realization, everything he said was right.

"Y-yeah."

He was a silent for a moment. I looked at the ground in shame. He probably think I'm some selfish little- Suddenly Declan burst out laughing. 

"What's so funny?" I asked him.

"You think I can't protect you by myself?" He asked, challenging me.

"What? I never said-"

"I don't need those two idiots for help," he told me, crossing his arms like a stubborn kid. "I'm fine all by myself."

"No, it's just-"

"Besides, I got these babies." Declan started to flex his muscles like some body builder. Girls passing by swooned, one I think was drooling, the rest were just glaring at me. What? It's not my fault Declan is showing off his muscles to me.

"Okay, you do have a point there, but still-"

"Naomi, listen to me," he said, grabbing my shoulders to face him. "It'll take a lot more than punching someone or making a sarcastic comeback to send me to the principal's office like those two idiots. I promise you, I'm going to stick to you like glue to whole day until they come back. Once they do, they'll buy us pizza for being idiots. Do you understand?"