CHAPTER TEN: FLY (3/4)

Kas used the next thirty seconds to run to the weapons cabinet in the cockpit and retrieve her preferred arsenal of firearms, going straight for her twin prio-pistols, one holstered on each hip. They weren't the most powerful weapons she had, but they were highly accurate, had no recoil and, thanks to the dynamo rechargers in their grips, had as good as infinite ammo. They were extremely reliable, ideal for mid-ranged combat and Kas didn't go into battle without them.

She'd also grabbed a belt of concentrated plasma grenades which hugged her waist reassuringly. Kas had never had to use one, but then she'd never really intended to. She wore them because often just the mere sight of them was enough to send her enemies running the other way, lest she turn out to be crazy enough to blow them all to oblivion. They were high risk, though. Just one of them alone would be enough to tear the Calista interstellar in every direction, and she had six.

Kas stood in silence for a long time. Too long. The wait was making her nervous and the nerves were making her want to shoot something. The alien ship had matched her speed just behind her and was threatening to swallow her whole. She swept back her mohawk and tried to take a page from Hik's book in appearing emotionless. Whatever happened, happened, she told herself, and she would react as needed. But her hands were shaking with adrenaline as her body shouted at her to do something - anything.

Finally, the Calista's tannoy crackled and a voice that didn't sound human filled the air.

'Calista. This is the United Galactic Federation. Please disengage thrusters.'

Kas tilted her head to one side.

Federation, huh...?

She turned to the relay-switch on the wall and flicked it open. 'How do I know you're with the UGF?'

'You are receiving our federal licence now.'

There was a short pause before the Calista confirmed: 'Federal license is validated.'

Kas narrowed her eyes but didn't speak. The alien voice did it for her.

'Disengage thrusters immediately, or you will be forced to.'

'What do you even want?'

'You have thirty seconds to comply.'

Kas clenched her teeth and sucked in a breath. She walked briskly to the control panel and grabbed the thruster. With a scowl, she pulled it back and saw the Calista's acceleration ease off. They were still going incredibly fast, only they were now travelling at a constant speed.

'There,' she said into the air. 'You happy?'

There was no reply. The Calista began to rumble as the alien craft inched towards her and started to surround her. Kas looked out of the viewport and saw the huge circle that was the alien ship's mouth overtake her. It was bright inside, like a huge cavern coated with lambentile panelling. Kas couldn't see much from her restricted view and the sensation did little to calm her nerves. The large ship seemed to come to a stop, satisfied with the Calista's position inside it. There was a brief silence before the cold voice returned.

'Please disable your ship's gravity.'

Kas was about to ask why but figured there was no point. Whatever was happening, she just wanted to get it over with.

'Calista,' she said. 'Disable gravity.'

'Disabling gravity.'

Kas felt a gentle vibration in her boots and knew the centrifuge chamber beneath the cargo hold was shutting down. Her internal organs suddenly became light, and a momentary dizziness came over her as she lifted off the floor. She grabbed onto the back of her chair with one hand to give herself an anchor.

'Please open your rear doors.'

It was a good thing the gravity was off because if Kas had still been standing, she probably would have fallen over. If there was one thing you most definitely did not do in high-speed transit, it was open the rear doors. Not unless you were looking for a quick way to get yourself killed.

'My what?!' she said.

'Do not be concerned. You are perfectly safe within the docking chamber of our ship.'

Kas didn't know if that was possible, but then a ship had just captured her in deep space like a butterfly in a net. This was no ordinary encounter. Still, just the thought of opening her doors while the gulf of space was still visible in front of her made her feel nauseous.

'Alright. Just give me a second to get my spacesuit on.'

'There is no need. Our inner atmosphere is synchronised with your own. It is no different to disembarking in a zero gravity hangar.'

'I'd still prefer to suit up.'

'You are required to open your rear doors immediately, or we will force them open. In this event, damage to your ship will be unavoidable and we will not be liable for its repairs.'

'You're really not leaving me much choice here.'

'You have one minute to comply.'

'Alright, alright!' Kas used her chair to propel herself through the open door into the cargo hold.

She soared past Hik who had anchored himself to the floor and glided elegantly towards the rear doors. Once there, she put her hand on the big red lever that would pry the back of the ship wide open.

What am I doing...?

Against all her instincts, she held her breath, wrapped both her legs around a truss and pulled the lever down. The Calista's doors hissed open, and to Kas's great relief, there was no change in pressure. Just as the voice had foretold, it was as if Kas had pulled into a zero-gravity hangar and the Calista was hung in perfect suspension - not travelling at interplanetary speeds.

Once the doors were fully open, Kas kept herself close to the wall and peered cautiously around the frame.

Her eyes stretched wide as her pupils dilated with dread.