7 | Stereotypes

S E V E N

~Cry a river. Build a bridge. Get over it.~

a d e l i n

I had to give up my free periods for detention in order to reach home in time and prepare for the gathering not knowing that my plans would have to wait.

As soon as I'd gotten out the room and turned on my phone, I had been greeted by eleven missed calls by none other than mother dearest.

Every profanity I know runs through my mind when her name once again annoyingly flashes on the screen. Grinding my teeth, I swipe to pick up the call.

"I am in school Mother, do you not-" That's how far I make it before she cuts me off "Manners, Adelin, I am not one of your friends. I am your mother and you will treat me with respect. I expect a greeting when you first answer my call."

Authority rings in each word and I hate that I straighten my spine and school my expression as if she were standing right infront of me.

Looking down on me with cold grey eyes as she always did.

The grip on my phone tightens "Forgive me, i'll be sure to ask about the weather next time. Why did you call?" I mutter, not wanting to bicker.

"Natallie is getting a break from school, I need you to pick her up. She'll be staying with you for two days after which your father and I will be taking her with us." I open my mouth, protests begging to be worded but that is not where my misery ends.

"A dinner will be held and you have to be present, unlike last time. I will hear no excuses. I suggest you learn some manners before the dinner. Goodbye." She ends the call before I can talk back and refuse.

I want to see Nat badly, spending time with my baby sister is not something I have the chance to do often but at the same time I have other things to attend to.

My thoughts get intrupted by another message, this one from Mother's assistant Clarice, stating the address to Nat's boarding school which just so happens to be out of town.

Clarice even added a smiley face in the end to soften the blow.

It's all useless in the end though, Mother made it very clear that there was no room for arguments. There never is with her. My plans had just taken a one hour detour.

°*°*°*°*°

After picking Nat up, I had driven us home as my baby sister had caught me up on all the new updates in her life. She continues to do the same, talking on while indulging in a hearty bowl of Mac and Cheese, a treat Laura had ready at our arrival.

It saddens me to know that I've been absent for a good portion from my six year old sister's life, she's grown considerably since the last time I saw her yet at the same time also managed to remain her same enthusiastic and bubbly self.

I smile as she raves on about her boarding school and her best friend, feeling grateful that Nat is genuinely enjoying her time at Paramount Preparatory.

While our parents were mostly absent during Aaron and my childhood they didn't even try at Nat's turn. They're never there. Not on her birthday. Not during any milestone in my sister's life.