Chapter Two: At the Cinemas

The first week of my junior high school year was going on well. I can understand the lesson and a couple of senior boys asked me out—to Jasper’s annoyance. Huh, I got to admit, five different senior boys asked me out already from the pass days. Jasper told me they just realized how beautiful I was since I’m getting more mature. I snorted at that. Mature my ass.

            Anyway, Jasper, Amanda and I are going to watch a movie at six in the evening. It was already Friday and it has been a tiring week. So I was at my room, wearing my black skinny jeans and a white blouse with my usual black leather jacket. I also wore my black high heels. I shrugged as I saw my reflection at the mirror. Oh well, I have no choice but to wear this. I grabbed my white shoulder bag, which was on lying on my bed. I went downstairs and saw Jasper sitting at the sofa talking with my Mom. Melissa was out to go in a party—typical Friday night.

            I cleared my throat to get their attention. They both glanced at me and I saw my Mom smile. “You good?” she asked and I nodded vigorously. “Good. You look pretty, by the way.”

            “Thanks,” I breathed, smiling.

            Mom turned to Jasper, raising her eyebrow. “Take care of Melanie, okay? I expect her to be home at ten-thirty.”

            I groaned. “Mom, come on! Can it be a little later? Say, eleven-thirty?” I asked, doing my puppy-dog look.

            She sighed. “Fine.” She looked penitently at Jasper. “Make sure that she’s home at eleven-thirty. You’re late for one minute and you’ll—.”

            “Mom!” I gasped, aghast. Is she for real? “Mom, stop it!” I was already blushing angrily and Mom laughed.

            “I was just joking around. You teenagers have no sense of humor,” she said, rolling her eyes.

            “And old people like you have?” I asked, raising my eyebrow playfully.

            She just laughed. “Of course. I was from another generation. Now off you go.”

            I quickly grabbed Jasper’s hand and dragged him away my house. I closed the door behind us and he laughed. “Really love your Mom, Melanie.”

            “Why? Your Mom doesn’t joke around?”

            He shrugged and looked at his shoes while he walked to his car. “Well… you know my parents.”

            I nodded sadly and looked away. His parents were the workaholic type. Yeah, Jasper might be so rich and all that but sometimes, his parents doesn’t have a time for him. They’re so busy from work—both his parents were lawyers. His parents were also the serious ones and Jasper’s kind of a rebel.

            As we got inside his car, he grinned at me playfully. “Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. You look really hot tonight, Melanie.”

            I laughed, blushing. “Yeah, yeah. Just drive the damn car,” I teased.

            “Or we could just make out here?” Jasper said, waggling his eyebrows teasingly.

            I laughed again and slapped his arm gently. “Sorry, I’m not interested. Just drive the damn car to the movie theater.”

            He just rolled his eyes and started the engine. We talked about the first week and all that. The movie theater is about an hour ride from my house so most of the time when Jasper and I weren’t talking—just enjoying the comfortable silence—I was looking outside my window, thinking about Garret Stone.