30 • The Known Devil

This is the last chapter in the teenage arc of Eva's storyline.

Junior year flew by in a blur, taking with it the Home Econ classes because by the time senior year rolled around, the school no longer had the subject in their curriculum

Junior year flew by in a blur, taking with it the Home Econ classes because by the time senior year rolled around, the school no longer had the subject in their curriculum. A lot of schools had dropped Home Economics, unknowingly killing something small and alive that had been growing in Eva's chest, and in lord knows how many other Evas across the nation.

When Eva had found the courage to go up to a teary-eyed Mrs Lenora who'd been packing away her belongings in a cardboard box and asked her what the class would've been like in senior year, she'd told Eva that they would've covered domestic life; the dynamic between families, relationship between individuals and anything else of that nature.

Eva had wondered then, for a split second, what she would've learnt had they kept Home Econ as a subject in the school. Would she have learnt if her mother didn't run the house right? Would she have learnt how to do better? Would she have learnt if all homes operated the way the mansion she lived in did?

She suddenly recalled the drawings her class was asked to do back in her old school, in her old neighbourhood. What had that teacher's name been, again? She couldn't recall it. Mrs Doris? Not, that wasn't it. But Eva was sure it was something along those lines.

She remembered that one class though, when they were asked to draw their favourite memory of home and she'd seen stick figures on every kids' sheets, some at the beach, and some at a picnic; bright blue skies, vibrant green grass and blinding yellow suns. While Eva's sheet remained blank. Even now, she wouldn't know what to draw.

Eva would always be left with a blank sheet.

---

Eva passed by a familiar rusted door with a silver plate that read ‘emergency exit’ — most of the letters were peeling off and Eva wouldn't have been able to know what it said had it not been for the numerous times she'd had to come here during her lunch, often even when she was hungry but couldn't complain because she didn't want to irritate Vincent when he needed her there with him.

And during the few times she'd had to skip class, Home Econ even, when he'd had free periods and wanted her to spend them with him. A part of Eva had hoped for senior year because Vincent would've graduated since he was a year older to her, and she could finally let herself fall back into that peaceful routine she found only in Mrs Lenora's classes.

But Vincent was gone now, working under his father at the family's chain of automobile repair shops, yet always appearing after school was over each day to take her into his open arms and kiss her like he thought she was his and his alone to keep. Vincent was gone now, but so was Mrs Lenora and her class.