Chapter Ten

Kat felt the familiar feeling of Apparition take over her body. She looked around glumly to see herself in an alleyway. She saw another figure stumble back.

"Credence. Have you found the child?" Mr Graves said dropping Kat, who crumpled into a fetal position, evidently in shock. The boy's eyes flickered towards the young girl huddled in a lump on the ground before turning back to Mr Graves.

"I can't." Credence whispered. Kat peered through her lashes to the boy - nearly an adult now.

She saw Graves sigh impatiently, but step forward and extend a hand towards Credence. Kat watched curiously, lifting her head slightly off the ground to get a better view.

"Show me." What? Kat thought.

Credence whimpered and cowered away. Graves took Credence's hand and Kat gasped when she saw belt marks. She had never been hit before, and was immediately saddened at the thought that Credence was beaten.

"Shhhh. My boy, the sooner we find this child, the sooner you can put that pain in the past where it belongs."

"What child?" Kat whispered.

Graves ran his hand over Credence's hand and the marks disappeared. Then he pulled out a necklace with a strange symbol on it. Kat scrutinized it, but didn't recognize it. She could only make out what seemed like a triangular eye before it was tucked in Credence's shirt.

"I want you to have this, Credence. I would trust very few with it-" Graves then moved closer, and clipped the necklace around him.

"Now, when you find the child, touch this symbol and I will know, and I will come to you." Then Graves hugged him stiffly. No true hug looked like that...

"Do this and you will be honored among wizards. Forever. The child is dying, Credence. Time is running out." Then he turned to Kat.

"Credence, this young lady is a witch. Take good care of her for me, will you?" Graves gave a half smile, then Disapparated. Kat pulled her thin sweater around her closely as she avoided Credence's eyes. She heard footsteps hesitantly approach her. She peeked to see Credence crouched in front of her, looking nervous.

"I'm Credence." Credence said.

"I'm Kat. Kat Scamander." Kat trembled.

"Don't be scared." Credence whispered. "I'll be here." Kat began trembling even more when her mind flashed back to the exact words her uncle had last said to her. Tears began their path down her cheeks again. Credence looked awkward as he put an arm around her, as if he didn't know how to comfort Kat. Kat threw her arms around the startled teen, but he cautiously put his arms around her.

"Come on, now." Credence said softly. "We should go back to the orphanage. I'll have to explain to Ma that I found you on the streets, okay?" Kat nodded glumly. She let go of Credence but immediately grabbed his hand. Credence looked down at her in surprise, but she kept a firm grasp on his hand.

The duo walked in and a girl approximately a year or two older than Kat ran over.

"Credence, who is this?" The girl asked curiously, eyeing Kat.

"This is Kat. I found her on the streets with nobody. This is Modesty, Kat. My sister." Credence introduced.

"C'mon! I have a fun game of hopscotch!" Modesty said as she tugged Kat away. Kat looked back to Credence but he simply gave her a small smile.