Green light

"Am I right?" Tom swallows his food and nods,

"It's very good yes."

"Tom, may I ask you a question?"

"Yes of course, is something bothering you?"

I run my fingers through my hair, "I know you want me to go to school - but I'm umm not really comfortable with that."

"How come?"

"Back in my old school I- uh I used to have really bad panic attacks, because I was bullied a lot"

"What were you bullied about specifically?" Tom questioned,

"I'm not very good at sports and the boys used to bug me about that a lot and the girls once they found out that I was an orphan they never let me forget that I was different." I inhale and close my eyes "they used to leave notes in my locker and they would call me names that I don't feel comfortable repeating, and when I walked down the hall they would throw things. It was hard and I just really don't want to repeat that experience."

"I'm sorry to hear that people were treating you like that, I do want you to finish school-"

I panicked just a little when he said this "Please Tom I don't want to go back. What if I was home schooled or took some courses online."

"Let's talk about this later, okay?" Tom looks down at his phone to check the time "we should probably get going."

"Okay."

{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}

"Ladies and gentlemen please fasten your seat-belts."

"How long is the flight?" I ask, while fiddling with my seat belt

"Mmmm about 8 hours, do you need help with your seatbelt."

"Nah I'm good" I say as I click the seatbelt into place, I anxiously tap my foot on the floor and look around. The last time I flew on a plane it wasn't the best experience.

"I took mmmm my make on, in mmm mmm car" I hum softly to my self,

"What is that your singing?" Tom asks, he pulls a book out of his bag and rests it on his lap.

"Green light by Lorde, it was my sisters favourite song." Oh crap, I didn't mean to tell him that!

"You had a sister? Why didn't you tell me?!" I pop my phone case off my phone and pull out a picture and hand it to Tom,

"The one on the left is my Sister and that's my dad."

"And your mom?"

"I never knew her. She died when I was two, my dads name was Everett and my sisters name was Molly."

"If you don't mind my asking, how did they die?"

"Ah the million dollar question, it was a car crash. The three of us were driving home from our 'date night' and this drunk driver came out of nowhere. He hit us head on, my sister and my dad were in the front seats I was in the back, my sister died instantly and my dad died in the hospital. He was 38 and Molly was 14. She was a mother to me." I let a tear roll down my cheek, " I was 6, I got these baby's to commemorate the memory." I run my finger along the scar on my cheek, and I lift my shirt to show Tom the scar on my side. It starts and my belly button and it stops just bellow my breast. But I'm not going to tell tom that.

The plane engine rumbles to life, as we start are take off.

"My Dad loved planes, he always wanted to get his pilots license but that never happened."

"What did you Dad do for work?" Tom asks loudly, the plane engine is very loud.

"He was a firefighter, the chief actually."

"That remarkable." He says as the plane evens out, "it's a long flight try to sleep at some point okay."

"Okay." I pull my blanket out of my backpack and cover my legs, I look over at Tom and he appears to be engrossed in his book, I gently place my head on his shoulder and let the soft vibration of the plane rock me to sleep.