Chapter Eleven: Different

“Are you sure you’ve done it correctly?” I questioned Adam as I stared at the picture on the instructions before placing my gaze on the tent he set up.

“Positive,” he puffed out, wiping the sweat off his forehead, “Why?”

Well for starters, the tent should look like a semi-circle, instead it’s shaped like a distorted square.

I should have known better than to ask him for help with putting up my tent.

“I think we should do it again,” I suggested, walking up to the thing he just assembled.

“Done!” Axel grinned proudly, before shooting me an arrogant look. I glared at him and his perfectly set up tent. How could he do this? He should be that idiotic pretty boy celebrity that doesn’t know a thing about being outdoors.

Stupid tent!

“He’s good,” Adam complimented. I shushed him at once, knowing Axel’s giant ego will continue to grow once he hears my best friend’s praise.

Axel dusted off his jeans and looked at his handy work. I, being the bitter person that I am, kicked the thing that my best friend worked so hard on. The distorted tent fell on the soil with a thump, effectively crushing the effort Adam placed on after hours.

Adam let out a squeak of disappointed which caused me to giggle at his pained face as he allowed his work to fall down.

“Don’t worry, I’ll help you,” I assured, reaching for the instructions once again, “How can you set up your own if you can’t put up mine?”

“I’ve practiced on mine,” he grumbled under his breath, collecting the metal sticks, “Yours is a whole different story.”

“We bought the same model!” I stressed out, fighting back a laugh.

Adam started to mumble some excuses, the one I caught on was the fact he said that the first attempt was just a lucky try.

“We’re going to leave you two alone for a moment,” Taylor informed, pulling her blonde hair into a ponytail, “We’re just going to walk around the area.”

Marcus pulled Axel with him, knowing leaving him with us will only end in disaster, as he and his girlfriend started to walk away from view.

I examined their tents, I’m so close to pulling my hair out as I stared at their successful attempts in putting up a tent. I then shifted my gaze to Adam who was trying, and failing, to straighten up the metal pieces.

Well, this is going to be a long day.

“Why did you suggested to go camping anyways?” he whined, looking over the dirty piece of paper where the instructions were printed on, “You were never the outdoors type.”

“I don’t know,” I muttered honestly, “It sounded like a good escape.”

Escape, that’s the only I’ve been doing. I’m that kind of girl who just can’t face her problems head on, I’m always looking for a safe way out. Even though I knew that it’s going to bite me in the ass soon after.

He stabbed the metal sticks on the soil stabilizing them with a few rocks, he looked up at me and lifted a brow, “Escape.”

I dropped on the space next to him with a heavy sigh, “You know, from everything.”

Here we go, the playful aura was gone and a blanket of seriousness fell on the two of us.

When I was too upset from their divorce, I said yes to stardom so I can keep my mind occupied. When I continued to see the pain of separation from both my parents when I kept flying back and forth the Atlantic Ocean, I placed my foot down and decided to permanently reside in America.