Chapter Seventeen | Thomas and Darrel

For a few minutes, Thomas and Darrel walked in silence.
    "Are you alright m'lady?" Thomas asked softly.
    "I think so," Darrel nodded, "thank you...Thomas."
    Thomas gave her a shy smile.
    "I want you to do me a favour," Darrel informed.
    "Certainly m'lady," Thomas nodded.
    "Well, I know you're not a huge fan of...being delicate. I want your honest opinion about what you think about this."
    "Well, m'lady...I think you're not going to marry either of those. One day...you will be queen, with thousands of cats and you will be an awful leader, and cause the fall of England."
    Darrel stared at him for a moment then started laughing. Thomas smirked.
    "Was that a joke?" Darrel giggled.
    "Clearly," Thomas nodded, "that could definitely get me fired."
    "Thank you Thomas. A laugh was just what I needed at the moment."
    "Well, if you ever want me to insult you again, all you have to do is ask."
    Darrel laughed again while Thomas gave her a true, genuine smile.
   The two of them had always been 'friends', as he liked to think. When Darrel was a child, he would always play with her, and as she got older, he always attempted to help her with schoolwork. In return, Darrel was always kind to him, and treated him as an equal, despite him being her servant.
    "Thomas," Darrel said quietly, tearing him away from his memories.
    "Yes m'lady?" Thomas nodded.
    "One day, the roles will be reversed."
    "I doubt I'll be the Princess of Wales, m'lady."
    "That's not what I meant. One day, you're going to have hundreds of men fighting for your affection. You'll be batting them away left, right and centre."
    Thomas chuckled, "I'm not sure m'lady."
    "Well, I am. You're an amazing person, and one day, you're going to make some man very, very happy."
    Thomas smiled, "Thank you m'lady."
    "No, thank you Thomas. You've always been there for me, since I was a little girl. I know if I ever need help, you'll be there."
    "Of course m'lady."
    Darrel gave him a shy smile and they continued to walk in silence, neither of them knowing what to say.
    "Who's going to be the lucky winner?" Thomas asked.
    "Excuse me?" Darrel replied.
    "Paul and Sebastian, m'lady. Which one will have the honour of being your husband?"
    "Oh, I don't know. In all honesty, I feel like I'm too young to think of marriage."
    "Probably. You should go back to being that foolish little girl who wore farm dresses all the time, pranked Mr. Carson and ran around the servants' hall."
    Darrel smiled, "I wish I could."
   Thomas sighed and glanced down at Darrel, to see a tear escape from the corner of her eye.