::Chapter 15:: Painful Truths

Golden light had begun to bathe the Kingdom by the time the armies reached the foot of the cliffs. The winds had retreated and the only sound was the birdsong which danced around them on the gentle breeze.

Despite the somewhat jolly day they had found themselves departing on, the group was entirely serious. They were almost entirely silent, walking in formation the only other sound being the hooves of the horses.

Part of Charlie couldn't blame them for the solemn manner in which they conducted themselves, considering what waited for them at their journey's end. The other part wanted to make the most of what would be his last days.

So in the absence of amusement from the others, Charlie explored.

Little more than a pup at play, he dodged left and right through the legs of horses and humans. His pale grey tail darting from side to side as he went. Using the length of rope attached to his neck to tie up others and cause them to trip, much to his own amusement.

No one dared to hit out at him or scold him, for fear of how he would retaliate. Which meant he was free to have fun. His childhood had been stolen from him, and it was one of few times that he was able to simply play.

As a lone wolf, he had to do everything himself. Keep guard, find food and stay safe. There was a reason that not many wolves survived by themselves in the wild. It was exhausting and left little time for anything else.

Charlie had managed it necessity alone, not that there was a lot which could hurt him badly.

Though he couldn't really consider himself as part of the 'pack,' it was up to everyone else to keep an eye on him. At least if they knew what was good for them, which meant for once he could simply have fun.

Following scents as far as his leash would allow him to go, he pointedly ignored the annoyed huffs of the people around him. He even went as far to batter at the tails of the horses absent minded as he passed. He was having fun.

But as usual, his fun would never last as long as he wanted it to.

A sharp yank around his neck sent him off balance, and he skidded in order to catch himself before he hit the ground. A whine tearing from his throat, but like an obedient pup he returned to the side of his brother. Even if he wasn't happy about it.

"Stop acting like a pup," Robert told him when he reached the side of his horse, surprisingly calm. As though he could no longer muster the energy to show emotion after everything that had happened.

"Put me on a leash and I'll act like one." Charlie replied firmly, "Just be thankful I wont throw a tantrum."

That comment earned him another yank around the neck, pulling a cry of pain from his throat.

"You dare..." Robert began, the fear in his tone appearing suddenly, almost surprisingly.

Charlie shook his head, interrupting before he could finish. "I wont, I made a deal with father. I have every intention of holding up my end of the deal." If he doesn't, war wont be the only thing he has to worry about.

He hadn't paused to worry about who around him could have been listening.

And he would live to regret it as the sound of hooves approached. Charlie didn't need to look back in order to know who had come over.

Wincing inwardly, he wondered as to how much she had overheard.

From the glare that Robert was now receiving, Charlie hazarded a guess that it was all of it.

Evie approached, she was yet to don her armour as travelling in casual clothes made it an easier journey. Instead she wore a long reddish purple dress, which covered the back of her grey mare. She looked beautiful, Charlie noted. Though the angry expression on her face marred her beauty to some extent.