6

Through all the talking and staring at Nate, I did not notice that it was raining steadily outside

Through all the talking and staring at Nate, I did not notice that it was raining steadily outside. The sound pitter-patters against the large windows of Linc's so loudly that I am extremely surprised when I walk out into it.

Nate breathes a deep breath through his nose. I can imagine that the smell was strong and found myself doing the same.

"I love the smell of rain," I comment as we both stand under the striped canopy of the diner.

"I don't very much like navigating in it, though," Nate nearly groans. He has yet to take his walking stick out. It was as if he was delaying spending alone time with me.

Strangely, I am more excited than nervous.

This is a first around him.

"You stay here and I'll get my car brought up to the door." Before he can answer, I take off into the pouring rain.

I return drenched with my hair sticking to my face and my light jacket clingying to me like a second skin. I quickly get out of my car and run back to where Nate is standing. The rain has yet to touch him and yet he looks miserable.

Before I can talk myself out of making him come with me, I lightly grab onto his upper arm and lead him to the passenger side door of my car.

Once we are both seated in the car, I flip on the heat. Nate visibly shivers. I push my soaking wet hair out of my face and quietly giggle.

"What?" Nate asks. His head is cocked slightly to the side so I could see his sharp jaw line.

My giggles grow louder in the compact car. He looks like a wet Garfield the cat with glasses as he shakes off the water from his hair and clothing.

I'm not sure if it's the musky smell of him or if it is that fact that my worst nightmare was happening around me with being trapped in a confined space with the boy that is always on my mind, but I think I am becoming delirious.

"What are you laughing at, Kelly?"

My laughter stops abruptly at him using my name. I think I stop breathing. I grip the wheel of my car harder until the threat of ripping it off makes me snap out of my stupor.

"You've never said my name before."

Redness crawls up Nate's neck and paints his pale skin. The bubbles of giddiness rise in my chest once again at the fact that I made him blush but I push them back down for the sake of both of our feelings.

I don't think I have ever made a boy blush as much as the kid sitting next to me. It was a sight that could fuel any woman's ego.

"I'm sure I have," he awkwardly mumbles. He rubs his hands together to warm them up.

"No, you haven't." I turn the heat up more for his sake. "I like it."

I bite down on my lip at the fact that I said that sentence out loud. Now it is my turn to blush. Thank the raining heavens above that he can't hold it over me like I can him. But then again I wonder what Nathaniel Haynes would think if he made me, the Kelly Henderson, blush like a madwoman.