Dancing With Aidan - Part 10

In walked Linda, carrying various bags and rolling in a suitcase, her hair disheveled. Aidan closed the door behind her and stood back. This wasn't his fight. He looked at you and glanced at your mother. His glance clearly said, this is all you, dear. You sighed.

"Hello, Mum! Why didn't you tell us you were coming!" Your voice came out a little shrill and panicked. Your mother cocked an eyebrow and put her hand on her hip. "Hello, baby. Why didn't you tell me you were leaving? " Yup. That's the mother I know.

Dean and Sarah stood up from the table and calmly grabbed their coats. They quietly said their goodbyes to you and Aidan, giving you hugs. Sarah lingered a bit longer in the hug and whispered, "If you or Aidan need any help, just give us a call. We're only a few houses away." You smiled and nodded, trying your hardest to pretend as if she hadn't just given you a possible escape route. Waving farewell, they left the house and shut the door behind them quietly. The silence they left behind was palpable.

For what felt like minutes, you and your mother stared each other down. Unable to stand the tension any longer, you sighed. "How was your flight, Mum?" Immediately, your mother's sour face lit up with joy. She let go of her suitcase and bags and held your shoulders.

"Y/N, honey, it was amazing! I didn't think I could do it! You know how terrified I am of planes, but for you, my dear, I would do anything! I watched the clouds fly under me, and darling... For a little while, I saw space. I didn't think that being in a plane would allow me to see so much. I was so scared, but it was so beautiful. I'm quite happy you came here."

She turned on Aidan with a twinkle in her eye. "Especially with one of my former students." Aidan eyes bulged. "You remember me, Ms. Linda?" She smirked. "Well, of course I remember you! How could I not, Mr. Turner!" She gently hugged him. "It's nice to see you again, dear." Aidan smiled softly and hugged her. "It's nice to see you, too!" Aidan pulled away and smiled. "So, what brought you here, Ms. Linda?"

Linda placed her hand on her hip, again, and stared at him. "Aidan, dear, don't yank me around. Neither you, nor Y/N, told me that you were leaving the country. I would have at least liked to know where my own child was going to be! So, I figured, as punishment, I'd come and visit you two, and perhaps stay for a while."

Your jaw dropped. "Mum, what about your students?! And your studio! Who is taking care of that?!" Linda waved a hand, dismissing your inquiries. "Honey, my students are fine. I don't really teach at the studio, anymore. I'm more of a businesswoman, now, than a teacher. So, I simply told my instructors that I'm taking my first vacation, in a rather long time, to visit, and spend some time with, my child. You've got me for three months, kiddo!" Your jaw dropped impossibly lower. "Oh, no.. " Your mother grinned. "Oh, yes!"

You locked eyes with Aidan, pleading for him to help you with this situation. When called upon to act and help out his love with this difficult development, Aidan simply picked up Linda's bags, and walked up the stairs to the guest room. Linda sauntered up the stairs, triumphant that, once again, you could do nothing to stop her. You slapped your forehead and went back into the kitchen to clean up the dinner party, but to also make a plate of food for your mother. If she's going to be here for three months, I may as well try to make the visit as pleasant as possible.

A few minutes after you started cleaning, Aidan came down to help you. You didn't speak a word to him. He didn't try to force you to speak. The work continued to be silent, until your mother came down the stairs and into the kitchen. You said nothing as you placed a plate of warm food in front of her, then went back to your cleaning.

She took a few bites, then... "Dear, who taught you how to cook this?" You turned to her and attempted a smile. "I found the recipe online. I thought it would be nice to try it." You turned your back to her and continued to work. She pursed her lips and stared at the plate. "Well, that explains why the taste is so bland. Surely I taught you better than this. It has no flavor, no zing. Nothing amazing to draw me in and hold my attention." You looked up at the kitchen wall as your eye twitched. So much for a pleasant visit.

Aidan, sensing that now might be the best time to come to your aide, said, "Oh, Ms. Linda, I think it was great! The food was nice and tender, and very flavorful! I think Y/N did an excellent job! I can't wait to see how she can top herself!" You smiled at him lovingly before Linda's voice broke the mood, again. "Aidan, darling, after tonight, I'll be cooking all the meals, and you'll be wondering how Y/N could have served such a bland dish." Your eyes twitched again. These next three months just might be the longest of your adult life.