Lies and Fries

I can't tell her. I can't tell Vivian that she was indirectly rejected. She's been texting me all night and since this morning. I didn't have the heart to read her messages. I didn't know how to reply.

I sigh and let my face plummet into the deep depths of my backpack. Vivian will be here soon and I don't know how to sugar coat "I didn't say I wanted to go with Vivian". I can smell the bag of donuts through my backpack. I bought a bunch of them to share with my friends. Mainly, I'm hoping to distract Vivian with her favorite ones, strawberry frosting with sprinkles. The thought of disappointing Vivian makes my stomach turn, and the smell of donuts starts to make me nauseous.

"When are you going to give up the habit of trying to suffocate yourself with your backpack?" I hear Evelyn sigh. She plops on the seat to my left. "Vivian's gone crazy. She won't stop talking about homecoming with Vincent. She keeps complaining that you're not replying to her messages." She gives me a stern look and I give her a weak, crooked smile.

"I was showering."

"For six hours?"

"I was eating dinner."

"So you ate your entire fridge? I know you eat a lot, but six hours is excessive." Evelyn's expression softens and she quietly whispers to me, "It didn't go well did it?"

I slowly shake my head. Evelyn tilts her head back and sighs.

"Wendy!" Vivian runs towards me and sits to my right. "What did he say?"

He says he doesn't want to go with you. He's interested in  some other chick. I'm sorry. You can do better. Let's go dress shopping after school. I'll even try on some to make you happy. I might even go to homecoming with you. Don't be sad. I got you donuts. "I didn't get the chance to ask him."

"Aw, really? Why not?" Vivian whines, hugging my arm and making puppy eyes. She tops it off with her signature pout.

"It's Wendy we're talking about. She's practically a mute around everyone except for us," Evelyn explains for me.

"You could always ask him yourself." Olivia suggests. Easy for Olivia to say. She's always the one rejecting boys, not the other way around.

"I'll just have to get him to ask me," Vivian beams. Evelyn gives me a grimace. I'm sure none of us can stop Vivian once she sets her mind on something.

"Oh, hi, Vincent," Olivia says in a panicky voice. She tries to warn us to stop talking about him.

"Hi, Olivia. What's going on?"

"Nothing," the four of us say simultaneously. Way to be subtle.

"Who wants donuts?" I give a breathy laugh and pull out the greased stained bag out of my backpack. First, I pull out the one for Vivian and hand it to her, before placing the bag in the middle of the table. Vincent is too easily manipulated by food. He disregards whatever we were trying to hide from him and takes out a plain, glazed donut. Before he can take a bite, a piece of it is ripped off and popped into he mouth of someone else.

"Carson!" Vincent glares at him jokingly, before quickly taking huge bite of whatever is left of the donut. Vincent's two other friends are quick in pursuit. I recognize then immediately. They stand out in a crowd since they are twins. Luke and Logan I think. I'm sure the one who is stockier is Luke.

"Mind if we have some?" Luke asks, his head turning to see who's the owner of the bag of donuts. I nod and he takes out two chocolate glazed, handing one to his brother.

"Hey, stop taking her food!" Vincent growls.

"It's fine, really," I assure Vincent. He rolls his eyes at the twins and flashes me a smile. I cough. It felt like a hammer knocked into my chest from the inside.