Hails Doesn't Listen

Hailey's POV

"I can't believe you just left me in the battle zone like that, what kind of best friend are you?" Harry scoffed as he chewed the last bite of his burger.

"The kind that knows her brother well enough not to argue with him when he's pissed." I laughed. "But, in all fairness, I didn't know he found out about the shop. I thought it was over some stupid man thing, so I stayed out of it."

We were sitting on the hood of my car, leaning back against the windshield and eating our burgers while we looked out at the lake. We'd been sitting there for hours, just talking about random things and watching the sunset. We were now sitting in the dark, the moonlight glowing off the lake, and looking up at the stars.

"I'll remember that, next time Sam tries to drag you to one of those girly nights in the city. Don't try to use me as your alibi."

"You wouldn't...." I said in disbelief.

"Oh, I would." He said seriously, turning to look me dead in the eye. "Just test me, Robertson. Payback's a bitch."

"You're evil." I laughed as I playfully shoved him, much harder than I intended.

He let out a small squeal as he lost his balance, sliding off the hood of the car and landing on the ground with a big thud. I couldn't help the loud laugh that escaped me as I watched as he fell, the sight of his long limbs reaching out to stop himself but failing looked like a scene from a movie as someone falls off a building in slow motion.

"Ow!" He groaned as I crawled over to see him laying on the sand beside the car, staring up at me. "I think we both know who's evil."

"I'm sorry." I laughed, doing my best to contain it but failing miserably. "Are you okay?"

I couldn't contain my laughter, cackling to myself as I looked down at him.

"Oh this is funny?" He chuckled. "Quit laughing and help me up."

He groaned as I reached down to help him up, but quickly grabbed a hold of my wrist and pulled me off the car, where I landed in the sand right next to him. He was now the one cackling as I brushed the sand off the side of my face, punching him in the arm as I tried to stop myself from laughing.

"Dick." I laughed as I smiled at him as we lay in the sand.

"I have to say, I'm shocked you didn't see that one coming. You're losing your edge, Bear." He smiled over at me before he got up and reached down to pull me up with him.

"Oh yeah?" I asked him as I got an idea, brushing the sand off my arm with a grin.

"Oh god, I know that look. You're about to do something ridiculous. I'm sorry, I take it back, you're the edgiest you've ever been." He teased as I kicked off my flip flops and pulled my tank top over my head.

"Jesus Christ, why are you stripping?" He laughed as I unbuttoned my shorts.

"You coming or what?" I smiled as I slid my shorts down my legs and started sprinting towards the water.

I turned to see Harry frantically pulling off his clothes before he ran after me in his boxers, diving in a few seconds after I did and letting out a huge laugh when he surfaced.

"It's fucking cold in here." He smiled as he flicked his head to get his hair out of his face.

"You can get out if you can't handle it." I teased as he swam towards me, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me into him.

"Nah, I'll just find another way to warm up." He grinned as he leaned in to kiss me.

I hugged my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me as I wrapped my legs around him. I felt him smile against me as I tangled my fingers in his hair, pulling him as close to me as possible. He held me against him, his long arms completely enveloping me like they did whenever he hugged me. The way our lips moved together had become familiar and comforting over the past couple of weeks, and although we'd done it many times by then, it still ignited something in me every time.