26.

unedited.

***

"Stop!" Yuki yelled, wrapping her arms around the silver haired boy as she glared at the man who stood before them.

Droplets of water dripped down from the ends of Yuki's short brown hair onto the water. The two friends fell into the water while she tried to protect Zero from his former master. The man before them was named Yagari Toga, a qualified vampire hunter who used to train Zero to become a vampire hunter years before he was taken in by Kaien Cross. He was a rather tall man with wavy jet-black hair and wore an eye patch.

Now the two meet again as enemies. Yagari could no longer see Zero as his student, he was a vampire now and they don't mix well with vampire hunters, that's all there is to it. Yagari could dismiss the memories they made together with a snap of his fingers.

Yuki winced at the wound that the bullet had slightly grazed just on her arm and thanks to her, Zero was not injured in anyway. With or without injury, however, Yuki knew he was hurt internally and understanding his perspective, Yuki would be too. She never knew much of Zero, he never shared anything with her unless it was her sister, Emiko. So when this Yagari man showed up out of nowhere and tried to shoot him, it was quite a shock to her because the hunter had told her he was his former master.

She discovered a few important things today. She was happy to finally be able to know Zero's past even if it was just a little, but the thing that shocked and saddened her the most was when she discovered Zero is a vampire; a level D. Not a while ago Zero tried to bite her. That was what lead to their current state now.

She held Zero tightly in her arms using her body to cover the male who was unmoving and had his head dipped down with his bangs covering his eyes from the gun that was pointed at them ready for a third bullet to release.

"Your want to protect him is not enough of a reason for me to spare him, Yuki Cross." His face remained stoic as he spat out her name. He recognised she's that doofus-for-a-friend's adoptive daughter.

"I won't let him die." She answered back, knitting her brows.

Toga remained silent and was ready to pull the trigger once again, but when he did, he aimed it in a different direction which surprised Yuki. It was too quick for her to notice but when she finally registered what had happened, a shadow covered them and Yuki's eyes widened. The figure that stood in front of her and Zero was her sister.

"Emiko!" Yuki called in relief, however her sister did not turn to face her and she noticed her body was tense. ". . . Emiko?"

Zero's head perked up at the name and he slowly looked up to see Emiko's back facing towards them. The grief and disgust he felt tore him apart. Almost everyone he knew had left him. His mother, his father, his brother and now his master. All because of one vampire that ruined his life in just one night. All because of one vampire that turned him into a monster that could lose his mind and drink anything on sight. The man he once thought he knew had turned against him.

All

Because

Of

One

Vampire.

Who was the next to leave him? Emiko? She wouldn't would she? She promised him not to. She was the only thing he had left. His dead eyes could see only her as his insides ate him up. He lifted arm that had been drowned in the water and tried reaching for her. Even though she stood close, she seemed so far from him.

"Who do you think you are?" Emiko questioned rhetorically, her voice sharp which was something Yuki and Zero heard for the first time.

"Hurting my sister. ." Emiko continued, as she took a step forward, her fangs extending. ". . . and trying to hurt Zero. Who do you think you are?"