nine

Her familiar scent had filled his nostrils before he could even lay eyes on her as he entered the old dive bar they had met in a few months previously

Elijah took long but slow strides towards the bar at which she sat, cautiously taking his place next to her.

"I thought I might find you here," he greeted the young woman, signalling for the bartender to pour him a drink like he had so many times before.

Victoria stayed quiet long enough for him to come to the conclusion that she was ignoring him. That was not necessarily true, however she didn't know what exactly to say to him after the previous nights events, and staying mute seemed to be the easier option.

"You're not scared of me," he said after a moment or so of silence. She was still yet to acknowledge him. "Why?"

Victoria picked up her glass and raised it to her lips but didn't drink. Instead, she stared down at the clear liquid in the glass tumbler in her perfectly manicured hand.

"I was 19 when I moved to LA. I did things I am not proud of for money because for some reason I thought that having a lot of money would make me happy. When I turned 20 I met someone – he reminded me a lot of you, actually – and he made me come to my senses. I moved back here and I vowed to never do anything for money again. I am not scared of you because you've done nothing to harm me," she spoke with a small shrug, still refusing to make eye contact. "And because, against my better judgement, I trust you. Maybe it's because I can see that you want to redeem yourself, or maybe it's because I want to help you like that man helped me. I don't know. But for some crazy, stupid reason, I still trust you."

"So you don't care I killed someone?" Elijah furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Oh, no, I care. I care very much. I'm just not scared," the brunette corrected.

"Last night," he paused for a brief second, "you said you had almost fallen for me. What did you mean by that?"

"Wow. Just, wow. You know," Tori downed the rest of her drink, slammed the glass onto the counter, and finally looked over at him, "you are way more messed up than I thought."

The young woman glanced at him one last time, disgust and what could have been heartbreak evident in her big green eyes. Victoria scoffed quietly, rolled her eyes and stood up. She did not look back at Elijah as she walked away as she knew that it would only make her want to stay – to listen to what he had to say.

She couldn't risk it.