thirteen

Victoria exited through the door as quickly and quietly as she had entered through it, pressing her back up against the wall and taking a few deep breaths as she composed herself

The devastation in his chocolate coloured eyes was obvious as Elijah let out a deep sigh as he watched her leave once more. His younger brother reassured him things would be okay, that he could still fix things between them.

"I'll go talk to her." Rebekah stood up from her seat at the bar. "Maybe I'll be able to get through to her, you know, woman to woman."

The blonde began to saunter away when her oldest living brother called out to her.

"Rebekah," Elijah grabbed one of her hands, "thank you."

She didn't reply verbally, only gave him a sympathetic smile and a quick squeeze of his hand before continuing on her way out of the bar.

Rebekah found Victoria with her back against the wall, tears threatening to spill out of her dull green eyes, her messy brown curls blowing around her face in the wind.

"Victoria, right?" She called out to the young woman. "I'm Rebekah, Elijah's sister. I think it's time you and I had a little chat."

"No offence or anything, Rebekah, but I don't really feel like chatting to you or anyone in your family," she pushed herself off the old brick wall, crossed her arms over her chest and began to walk down the surprisingly empty street.

But Tori was cut off by the Original, who used her supernatural speed to step in front of the human who stumbled back a little in surprise.

"It wasn't a request."

"I saw him kill someone. He just took that woman's life and showed no remorse, not even a tiny bit. And judging by the way he reacted, she wasn't the first." Tori shook her head lightly and paused for a moment before continuing on, "I want to forgive him, I really do, because I have seen a side to him that I'm not sure anyone else has. But I have also seen who he really is – a monster. And I've loved plenty of monsters, the darkness in them, it draws me in every time. The monsters I've loved in the past, they've done terrible, evil things, but they've never killed someone... I love your brother, I do, but what if one day I end up just like that woman? I'm sorry but I'm not going to risk it."

Rebekah watched the young human in front of her unfold her arms and brush some hair from her face, carefully studying her features.

"Please," her voice was desperate, "he needs you."

The tears finally spilled from her big green eyes, fat drops of saltwater silently rolling down her cheeks. She took a few steps backwards, shaking her head a little as she spoke, "I'm sorry. I really am."

Victoria turned on her heel and walked away, taking the long way back to the hotel she had been residing in, and this time, Rebekah didn't try to stop her.