fourteen

A part of her felt like she had let her brother down as she watched the woman he had so clearly fallen in love with walk away

A part of her felt like she had let her brother down as she watched the woman he had so clearly fallen in love with walk away. She felt guilty, like she should have gone after Tori again. After all the things that Elijah had done for her over the years, and she couldn't even do this for him.

But she couldn't force Victoria to forgive him. There was always compulsion, of course, but she wouldn't do that to either of them – it wouldn't be fair.

Instead she let out a heavy sigh, something both Victoria and her brother had been doing more in recent times. Rebekah let her shoulders slump a little before she pushed open the heavy door to the old dive bar where her two brothers still sat, drinking away.

"How'd it go?" Elijah questioned his little sister as if they hadn't been listening in to their conversation outside.

"I'm sorry, 'Lijah," she resumed her seat next to him.

"It's okay," he reassured her, a small smile on his mouth, a tiny bit of his old self shining through. "I can't force her to do anything she doesn't want to. Besides, I only really have myself to blame, don't I?"

"No." Klaus spoke firmly, startling his siblings a little. "No, we are also to blame. For years we've just expected you to be okay with cleaning up our messes, dealing with our problems, being there for us, but we've never done any of that for you. Maybe if we had taken responsibility for ourselves, just once, then maybe you would be happy. You have every reason to be angry at us, you know."

They were all silent for a moment or so, letting Klaus' speech settle in as the low murmur of chatter resonated throughout the bar. Elijah gulped down the remainder of his drink before he spoke.

"None of this is your fault. Don't ever think that, even for a second." The bartender was quick to pour him another drink but it would go untouched. "It's my fault that I couldn't control myself. And I'm not angry at either of you, or about this situation. I could never be. After all, it gave me her, didn't it? Even if it was only for a short while."

Elijah stood up and shrugged his jacket on with ease, grabbing his brothers jacket from the back of his chair in the process.

"Go home, both of you." He handed over the leather jacket.

Klaus stood and shrugged on his jacket, clapping a hand onto his brother's shoulder. They locked eyes, silently conversing about the situation. After a long moment he let go and headed towards the door, but Rebekah remained in her seat. Her big blue eyes stared up at her brother through thick lashes.

"I'll be okay. I promise."

The blonde stood and wrapped her arms around him tightly, "I know you will."