Twelve

April 19, 2016

Jack

History of Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs:

After World War II, combat veterans returned home. Struggling with memories of warfare and re-entering the American mainstream, some vets found solace in motorcycle gangs. The Pissed Off Bastards, a California motorcycle gang drew national attention in 1947 when an American Motorcycle Association Hill Climb event turned into a multi-day brawl. The role of the gang is unclear, but other incidents followed. 

Later in 1947, bikers were blamed for rioting in Riverside, California, where two people were murdered. 

In 1948, there was more rioting in Riverside. Sensationalized media accounts of these events became the source for Brando's The Wild One, and the notoriety that still follows outlaw motorcycle gangs. 

In the early 1960s, the President of the American Motorcycle Association claimed that 99% of motorcyclist are law-abiding. In response, some gangs boast that they are the lawless "1%". To this day, members can be seen wearing their colors, with the gang's name across their backs and a diamond-shaped "1%" patch over their hearts.

In 1950, the Pissed Off Bastards formed a new gang, The Hell's Angels. New gangs multiplied. Through the 1950s and 60s, the gangs' conduct appeared more focused on misfit rebellion and having a good time than organized crime.

During the 1970's, recruitment increased with the addition of Vietnam veterans, while at the same time, the gangs' pursuits devolved to new criminal ventures. Drug use increased among members and led to drug dealing and distribution. Biker gangs learned the drug business and how to make it pay. Their geographic range and mobility provided structural advantages to supply and marketing. Their pre-existing  organization, discipline and loyalty insured a measure of internal accountability. With these assets, the gangs were able to effectively wield the tools of violence, and intimidation. 

Over time, prostitution was added to the product list. The total annual illegal revenues for biker gangs is believed to be $1,000,000,000. Their modern kingdom extends across the United States and into developed countries around the world. Current enterprises include drugs, prostitution, stolen goods, and extortion. Raids have confiscated millions of dollars in narcotics. Seized weapons include machine guns and anti-tank rockets. In a single turf war in Canada, there may have been more than 150 murders, 84 bombings, and 130 arsons.

The Blue Steel Kings (BSK): The Blue Steel Kings are a "1%" gang. Various reports claim the BSKs were founded around 1961, in Golden, Colorado. They now have outposts around the world. Federal authorities list the BSKs, along with the Hells Angels, as one of the "Big Five" outlaw motorcycle gangs in America. National membership is reported to be 400-500 members. Nazi and white supremacist connections are suspected. The Gang Identification Task Force website claims the BSK's criminal activities include "Drug trafficking, arms dealing, extortion, prostitution, and money laundering." 

In July 1998, the Denver Post reported that 250 law enforcement agents raided multiple targets covering all Colorado BSK chapters. SWAT teams moved in on 24 locations. They arrested 38 gang members. Confiscated 47 weapons including 23 fully automatic machine guns, 5 hand grenades, 5 pipe bombs, $26,000 cash, a silencer, and 9 pounds of methamphetamine. Investigators claimed that inside the Colorado Springs clubhouse, they also found a shrine to Adoph Hitler with his portrait, his book Mein Kampf, and other Nazi memorabilia. The article describes other crimes committed or suspected of the BSKs, including kidnapping and murder. The resolution of these cases is another matter. It is difficult to track, but it appears that very few of these arrests resulted in convictions.

Seems the cops have a problem finding witnesses...

[⭐Vote⭐, Faster Pussycat, Vote! Vote!]

Photo: Motorcycle by Artem Beiaikin, 2015 (Pexels).