Chapter 5

You run around the apartment stressing. Everything has to be clean. Everything has to be orderly. Everything has to be perfect.

Why? Because your parents are coming tonight and you have to impress them. Isn't that sad?

"Babe, calm down." Bucky chuckles in amusement as he watches you from the doorway where he holds Luke. "Everything will be fine."

"What were they like when you asked them?" You ask frantically. "Were they reluctant? Were they annoyed? How do you think they're going to react?"

"I think they were a little bit shocked at first to see me but they seemed happy enough once I invited them over, quite chuffed actually I think. They were quite excited to hear that it's a boy." He says calmly.

"But like are they going to hate me?" You say frantically.

"Of course not doll! They're your parents!" He exclaims and comes running over to you. "Look, I know what they did was completely wrong but they were probably just so freaked out, just like you."

"Yeah but they've had a whole year to come sort things out and they didn't. I'm sure they would've if they wanted to." You say flatly.

"I know." Bucky huffs and looks down. "I'm just trying to say things that will make you better but your making it quite difficult." He adds with a chuckle as he stands close to you and brushes a piece of hair behind your ear.

"Oh, sorry." You laugh in reply.

"Now there's one more thing that you forgot to clean up." He says quietly.

"I did? What's that?" You ask, looking around the room.

"Yourself." He states and then smiles.

"Oh crap!" You gasp. "You're right I look like a complete mess!"

"No you don't, you look fine doll." Bucky smiles.

"Babe, I've got baby sick on my top." You deadpan.

"Point taken." He shrugs. "You go get yourself cleaned up and I'll get Luke ready cos I'm already dresses. See? Organised." He grins with a wink.

You roll your eyes and he kisses your forehead.

"Not to rush you or anything but they could be here anytime now." He mumbles, his lips still pressed against your skin.

"Right." You say and rush off to your room.

You shower and dress in something a little nicer, apply some make up and style your hair. You want to prove to your parents that you've manage to make a great life for yourself without them around.

"How do I look?" You ask as you walk back out into the living area.

"You look-" Bucky starts but is cut off and turns away by a knock on the door. "- gorgeous." He smiles when he looks back to you.

You rush over to him and take Luke into your own arms while he goes to answer the door. Timidly you stand behind him, hiding a little bit.

He opens the door to reveal your mum and dad. Still looking the same.

"Hello!" Bucky exclaims, a lot more happy than you know both of you are feeling, but he's just nice like that.

"Good evening James." Your mother smiles politely.

"Evenin' Bucky." Your dad says gruffly and shakes his hand.

"I'm glad to see that you both came." Bucky adds warmly.

"Well, we just couldn't resist." Your mother gushes. "And we bought some snacks too if you don't mind."

"Oh that's great! How kind of you." Bucky says happily.

You want to laugh at how false he is being.

"Now where is she? And our grandson. I'm just dying to meet him." She says excitedly.

"Oh, they're right here." Bucky smiles and steps aside to reveal you.

"Oh Darling! Hello!" Your mother exclaims as she reaches in to hug you. "It's so good to see you!"

"Hi mum." You say monotonously and hardly hug her back.

"Hi sweetie." Your dad says with a half hearted smile and gives you an awkward hug.

"Hi dad." You sigh.

"And who is this handsome little fella?" Your mum coos and takes him from you without your permission.

It takes all of your willpower not to take him back off of her. You really don't want them near him after what they did to you.

Bucky must sense your tension because suddenly you feel his arm snake around your waist. You glance up at him and see him give you a warning look but you ignore it.

"Oh! Are you two together now?" You're mother asks critically.

"Yes." You state. "Is that a problem to you?"

"No I was just curious." She shrugs light hearted.

"Good because I didn't think you would care anyway." You mumble.

Your mum just frowns at you. Clearly your dad isn't in a talking mood tonight.

"Right! Let's go sit down then." Bucky says and claps his hands together, trying to clear the awkwardness of the gathering.

"Excellent idea." Your dad huffs.

Bucky stares you towards the couch and you plop down, never taking your eyes off of Luke as he is passed between your parents, if you can even call them that now.

You didn't realise how much you had actually grown to hate them over the last year until you actually saw them.

The night goes by slowly and it is the most awkward thing ever. Telling them about things they should already know, learning stories that you don't want to hear. You are relieved when it comes time to put Luke down just so that you can leave the room and get a break from them.

But after you've kissed Luke goodnight and placed him in his cot as you go to go back into the living room you hear Bucky talking seriously so you stop and listen from the doorway.

"Now you listen here." He says roughly. "I know I've known you guys for nearly my whole life but what you did to (Y/N) was wrong. She did nothing wrong and you took everything out on her. I love her and I thought that maybe seeing you two again might make things better but I can see now that it's just hurting her. She was better off without you. So from now on, you are going to leave her alone and not bother her unless asked and you will help out with Luke where need be like good grand parents should because even though (Y/N) doesn't need you anymore, he will."

You smile and bite your lip, blushing at his words. He is so sweet and cares so much. There is silence in the other room so you take that as your cue to go back in.

"Everything alright?" You ask light hearted and come to stand behind Bucky with your hands on his shoulders.

He reaches up and holds onto one of your forearms.

"Everything's just fine." Your mother smiles. "But I think we better be off now, it's getting late."

"Okay. Goodnight." You say and watch as they leave, not protesting.

"It was good to see you." Your father tries.

"Yep." Is all you say.

"You heard what I said didn't you?" Bucky says and looks up at you sheepishly once the door is closed.

"Yep." You laugh, popping the 'p' and smile down at him.

You smash your lips to his quickly.

"Thank you." You sigh pulling away.