Chapter Fifty-Two

It had been a great night. Rob lay on his bed, Saturday morning, with his hands behind his head smiling up at the ceiling. Everyone turned up at the gardens. There hadn't been much alone time with Becky but it was better that way because every time he thought about her he got aroused. He smiled again remembering the feel of her nipple in his mouth. Yep. There it was. Rob lifted his head and looked at himself.

He chuckled and focused on their night at the gardens. Dorsey had a football in his car so they all ended up playing a game of touch footy in the dim light cast by the few lampposts that surrounded the open space. All the hockey guys were there and because of the win everyone was on a high. It was fun.

Rob climbed out of bed and had a shower. His parents were sitting on the verandah having a cup of coffee. Rob made some cereal and sat with them.

"Late night?" his father asked.

"Yeah. Pretty late. Got home at one o'clock." Rob focused on his bowl and took a spoonful of his breakfast.

"Becky." Michael grinned. "Pretty girl." He took a sip of his coffee and looked over the rim of his mug at his son. "Told you it's the pretty ones who get you into trouble."

Rob looked at his parents from under his brows as he took another mouthful of cereal. He could tell his mother was going to start on with the questions. He smiled, leaned back in his chair as she was about to speak, held up his hand and laughed, saying, "Before you say anything. Yes, she's my girlfriend, and no, we are not having sex, and yes, if we do I'll use a condom."

His mother burst into laughter. "You know me so well." She leaned forward and put her arms on the table. "Is everything alright with them? You were worried but they seem like a nice pair of kids. He looks up to her and she looks out for him."

Rob nodded and pressed his lips together in indecision. Should he? Yeah. He said, "I think her father hits her but she won't admit it."

"What do you mean?" Michael frowned and put his cup on the table.

"She's come to school a couple of times plastered with makeup. It's to cover bruises on her face. When I asked her, she says she's clumsy but I went to her house once and her father came to the door. He's one scary-looking dude." Rob shook his head and added, "Becky made out she didn't know me so I went along with her. I pretended I was looking for another family and my

GPS had told me it was that house."

Rob sighed as he pushed his bowl away. Thinking about Becky's father turned him off his food. "Dad. Do you reckon you could do me a favour? I want to know what happened in the accident that killed her mother. I've looked it up but there's only the newspaper report which says it was a single car accident and she hit a tree."

"How is that going to help if her father hits her?" Michael screwed up his face in puzzlement.

"I don't know. I'd just like to know the truth of it. She has never once mentioned her mother. Wouldn't you think a girl whose mother has only been dead just over a year would be sad and talk about her?"

"People cope with death in a lot of different ways, Rob." Sheila reached over and patted his hand. "Maybe not talking about it is her way."

"I think there's more to it." Rob looked back at his father. "Will you check it out for me? Look at the reports or files or whatever they are."

Michael sighed and looked from his son to his wife. He nodded. "Only if you promise me you will never tell her you've asked me to do this. You are never to mention this to anyone or ever tell her any of the details." Michael gave him a stern look. "I'd say no normally so I'll be going out on a limb here, Rob."

"I promise, Dad. The information is only for me so I can try to understand what's going on with her better." He cocked his head and with a grin and a shrug said, "I really like this girl."

Michael pulled a pen and notepad out of his pocket. "Okay. Tell me what you know. Surname. Address. Parents' names. Anything."

"The paper said her mother's name was Selina Hargrave. I don't know Becky's father's name but her and Linc's surname is Bridgestone. They live on Jardine Street."

"Fuck..." Michael pushed his chair back, tossed his pen on the table, and ran his fingers back through his hair as he said, "I can't do this, Rob. Sorry."

"What?" Rob frowned and watched his father stand up. Michael put his hands on his hips and paced. He stopped, lifted his notepad and pen, and then looked at his son. "I'm sorry, Rob. Just know that these people are known to us. That's all I can say." He held up his hands and turned away.

"Dad?" Rob said as he pushed his chair back and stood with his palms held out.

"Sheila." Michael gave his wife a forlorn look. "Explain it to him. I gotta go."

She watched her husband close the door behind him, and then turned to Rob. "If your father can't talk about it he can't talk about it. You know how it works, Rob. It means there's an ongoing investigation to do with the family."

"So Becky and Linc are in danger. Is that what you're saying?"

"No. Not what I'm saying." She grabbed Rob's hand. "It just means the police are investigating something that obviously concerns someone of the same name and address. Therefore your father can't talk about it." She sighed. "I have no idea either but your father never talks about open cases. Not even to me when he's really struggling with some of the horrible things he sees." Sheila gave him a weak smile. "I'm sure if those kids were in danger something would have been done about it and I'll ask your father to keep a close eye on them. You watch out for them too and if you suspect anything untoward please tell him."

Rob sat down and ran his hand over his head. "Now I'm really worried." He looked up at his mother. "Thanks, Mum. I get it. I really do. I'm not upset with Dad. Please let him know, if you see him before me." He looked at the clock. "I gotta get ready for the junior game." He stood up and kissed his mother on the head and whispered, "Love you."

Remember Black Cat is Copyrighted © 2017 by Me ☺ Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Thank you all so much ♥  Please remember to vote, comment and follow.

I really do appreciate it xoxoxox