Chapter Fifty-Three

Linc was already at the field with Carl and his mother when Rob arrived. "Where's Becky?"

"She's not here yet," Linc said. "I told her she had to go home and get my gear because I stayed over at Carl's last night."

"Ah, yeah. Sorry mate. That's right. I forgot." Rob pulled out his phone and text her. 'Where you at?' Her reply came back a minute later. 'On bus. Be there soon. J'

As Becky neared, Linc hurried to meet her and grabbed his bag so he could head to the toilets to change. Becky went and sat with Carl's mother. "Hey, Mrs. Stephenson. Thanks for having Linc. Did it go okay?"

"Yes." Debbie Stephenson smiled. "He's a good kid. They like the same cartoons and breakfast cereal." She chuckled. "And they even did some stretching exercises this morning. Can you believe that? My Carl has always been a lazy little shit but this hockey thing has really changed him." She smiled again. "To be honest it's the first time he's ever had a proper group of friends. Being a redhead and a little overweight does that to a person."

"I know what you mean." Becky nodded. "Linc's the same. Because he was small he always got picked on. When his leg got injured the bullying got worse, but since joining the hockey team I've never seen him happier."

Debbie elbowed Becky and jerked her head to where Rob had the team warming up. "I put it down to him. Rob, their coach. Drew's good too but Rob trains Carl more. Carl never stops talking about him." She grinned and twinkled her eyebrows at Becky. "A pretty young girl like you could do worse than have a boyfriend like him. You should flirt with him."

Becky laughed and looked over at Rob. He was watching her, so she gave him a wave and looked back at Mrs. Stephenson. "I've got it in the bag," she said with a giggle. "Rob and I are dating."

Debbie Stephenson roared with laughter. "You clever girl. I like your style."

Rob put Linc in as a fullback for the first quarter of the game. If the ball came in close, he did a perfect job of disposing of it but any further than five feet away with an attacker on the ball was a challenge for him. He called him off the field and replaced him with Jason.

"Great ball skills," Rob said as Linc trotted past him. He patted him on the shoulder and handed him a cup of water. Rob focused back at the game, clapped his hands and called, "Alright, Jason. Get on it. Great...play! Carl, come off the line a little," Rob instructed as he waved him forward with his hand.

The ball reached the forwards. Drew called out to the players with directions and encouragement.

Rob beamed and clenched his fists. "Yes!" He punched the air. "Our first goal! You beauty!" The kids cheered and carried on. "Come on. Back in positions!" Rob shouted. "Don't let it go to our heads. We've got a game to finish!"

By half time, they were still one goal in front. The boys sat in a circle and sucked on orange quarters while Drew talked them through the positives and negatives. "Okay. Let's do it again," he said as he patted each boy on the back when they passed him to head back onto the field. "Come on, Linc." Drew frowned as Linc remained on the ground. "You're up," he added, and then looked over at Rob.

"Linc." Rob squatted in front of him. "What's going on?"

"I think I should sit out this half."

Rob put his hand on Linc's shoulder. "Why? Is your leg playing up?"

"Nah...they just play better without me."

"Not true."

"They got that goal when I was off so I think I'll just stay here and watch." Linc tweaked his mouth and shrugged.

"Linc." Rob stood up. "Get your arse out on that field now. Goals are scored at any time. When I'm off the field or Drew's off the field. Everyone plays a part, not just one player." He pointed to the field. "Reuben scored the goal so does that mean we take everyone else off?" Rob cocked his head waiting for Linc to answer.

"No...but..."

"No buts, Linc. Get on the field and do your best. That's all we're asking. That's me, Drew and the rest of the team. We're asking you to be part of it and to do your best. There's no medal here for people who feel sorry for themselves." Rob raised his eyebrows. "You got that?"

"Yeah...Rob...I got it." Linc smirked and grabbed his stick.

"Good on you." Rob patted his back. "Just do your best."

As Linc ran on Rob thought about the set up. "Jason! I want you as a running back between the twenty-five line and the circle. That means I want you to protect the goal by going from side to side. Whatever side the ball's on you're there too but in front of Linc. You got that?"

Jason held up his hand and nodded. "Got it."

"Linc! You're gonna do the same but you're behind Jason and in the circle. You're his back up. If it gets passed him, you're it. There's less distance to cover in the circle but work with Carl too. Don't block his view, alright?"

"Alright." Linc nodded.

"Carl! Off the line. You're the man, remember. Guardian of the Gate. Got it?"

"Grr..." Carl roared and clenched his fists. "Got it!"

Rob didn't know if his changes would work. He called to the left and right halves and told them what was happening. They needed to get back to help protect the goal box if the ball got past them.

Grasmere, the other team, had come back on the field with more determination. Kalara's forwards were working hard. The ball got away. The Grasmere centre forward came barrelling down the field. He flicked off to the right inner past Kalara's half. Jason went at him. The kid pushed the ball through Jason's legs, and then ran hard to catch it.

Linc came forward, stopped the ball, and then shot it straight up the mid-field to Reuben.

Grasmere's front line was well in attacking mode, their halves up close behind them which only left their fullbacks and goalie to defend the box.

Reuben trapped the ball, ran with it, past the first fullback who'd come into the centre. He pushed the ball off to Blake, Kalara's left inner and bang! Another goal!

Rob couldn't help it; he jumped up and down like a crazed clown. He ran onto the field, picked Linc up in a bear hug, and then jumped around some more. "Great pass, man!"

He put him on his feet then high fived the rest of the team. "Jason. Great work! Are you coping with it?"

"Yeah, Rob." He grinned. "Not much difference between running up and down or side to side."

Drew ran forward and chest-butted Rob. He beamed. "We've fucking got this shit." He gripped Rob's hand. "How did you know that would work?"

"I didn't. Just thought if I could shorten the area Linc has to run maybe his balls skills would have a better chance."

Drew laughed. "If they keep playing like this we might have ourselves a winning team."

They both grinned and chest butted each other again.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Please remember to vote, comment and follow.

I really appreciate it xoxo 