The Wrong Guy

Jacob's P.O.V

It all started when I was 14, just starting my highschool journey. Mom had just graduated from cosmetology school and was opening her own beaty salon. I was so proud of her. Finally doing what she loved the most. And out of all people she deserved it. It was just me and mom at the time; we were beyond close. She was at every one of my middle school basketball games. Usually the loudest one. And I was her number 1 supporter when she was pursuing her dream of being a barber and a hairstylist. Whenever she needed to try a new cut, It would be me she practiced on. I would invite my friends over to get their haircuts and my mom would take picture of her work. Even the parents saw that she was good; moms and dads would go to my mom to get their hair done. Eventually with all of her savings she was able to buy out a old hair shop and open her new one. Things couldn't have gotten any better. Every night I would help my close the shop, and while we were cleaning we would dance and sing to Usher, Avant, Jagged Edge, Boyz II Men, and other old school singers. That's where I got my love for singing and music. But basketball was my main focus and passion.
Me and mom went to the park one day after she closed the shop early. Usually she would sit around and watch me practice my shooting, but that day she wanted to play with me. We were having so much fun. Even though she had no athletic bone in her body. After she got tired of me taking the ball from her we sat down on one of the park benches and ate our snacks. I noticed she was staring at me.
" What's up Ma," I asked her.
" JJ, I appreciate you so much."
" For what? Taking out the garbage?" She laughed.
" No boy, that's your job anyway. But seriously thankyou for steppin' up and helpin' me with the shop. Bringin in customers and everything. I know you would rather be out playin' ball but I'm glad you understand I'm working for the both of us. And you're about to start highschool in a couple of days.... It's really hittin' me that you ain't my lil baby boy. You growin up on me JJ." I saw a tear fall down her cheek and I wiped it.
" Ma stop cryin', I don't care about helpin you out extra. That's what I'm supposed to do. And I want to do it.... even though you could slide me a extra 10 dollars or a dub here and there." She popped me on my forehead.
" Boy I ain't givin' you a extra nothin' until I see them A's & B's on that report card." She pulled me in for a hug.
" I love you ma."
" I love you more Jacob".
That was the last close moment we had together.

A few weeks after school started for me, I had gotten so busy with classwork. Highschool was no joke. But I was handling it well. I just couldn't wait for basketball season to start. Until then I had music class and cross country practice to keep me occupied. Sometimes I would come home late from practice or show rehearsals. Mom would be on the couch sleep. Most nights I would wake her up and she would go sleep in her bed. But other nights I would just pass out right beside her and sleep. One night after my basketball tryouts, I noticed a extra car in the drive way. An all black Nissan Altima with dark tints. I walked in the house and smelled dinner cooking. I went in the kitchen and saw my mom standing over the stove making spaghetti and talking to a man who was sitting at the table.
" Hey JJ how was basketball tryouts," mom asked me as she turned around and faced me.
I stared at the man.
" It was straight, coach really likes me. I think I got the spot as point guard. He might even start me." The man smirked at me. I knew from that moment something about him was off.
" That's good JJ, I'm so proud of you. And I want you to meet Aaron, he's Shauna's cousin. He cuts hair and is going to help out around the shop." I looked at him.
" You can call me Ace, bro," he said. I didn't like the idea of a man in our house. Especially a stranger; a strange stranger. He had to go. But I didn't want to mom to lose out on a worker so I tolerated it. Time went on and I saw much more of Ace then I would had like to. Him and my mom started to date. Which I hated but it seemed like she was 3x more happier so I allowed it. Ace knew not to try anything sketchy around me. Even though I was only a freshman, I easily matched his height and I was strong. Basketball season kept me busy all the time. The shop and Ace kept mom busy in more ways than one. One night after one of my basketball games Mom took me out to Buffalo Wild Wings, my favorite place. Me and her were having a good time. Until Ace showed up; my whole mood changed. Mom made an announcement as we were eating.
" JJ, what would you say if you had a little brother or sister on the way?"
I almost choked on the piece of chicken wing I was eating.
" A little what? By who?" Ace smirked at me. I clenched my fist.
" I'm pregnant JJ. And by Aaron". I was upset. Mom could see it in my face. She knew I didn't like Ace and that I was only tolerating him for her. I just ate my food in silence.
" Aye man, look up. Its goin' to be fun havin' a baby around. And me and you gone be spendin' exrra time together. I want to show you a few things."
" Dawg, shut up. I ain't tryin to hear that," I said.
" Jacob, lose the attitude. You are going to have a little brother or sister.  And you will respect Ace." I just looked at her like she was crazy. I got up.
" Man, I'm catchin' the bus to Chris's house." Then I left.
Months later I accepted the fact of having a little sibling. I wasn't mad at the fact mom was pregnant. I always did want a little sibling I could watch over and mess with. I was mad at the fact that she was pregnant by Ace. Ace moved in shortly after the announcement. We kept our distance. Most of the time I stayed at my granny's house. She was happy to have me. She didn't like Ace at all. We would talk about him sometimes, and she would tell me she heard from her old lady friends that he was a drug dealer. I believed it. He was too secretive. He got calls every 5 minutes and would leave immediately after. He came home late; later than late. Even one day an officer knocked on our door. Mom was still at the shop and I was home sick from school. Ace had been gone all day. The officer asked if I knew Ace, but he called him by his government: Aaron Hill. I told him yes. He asked me questions that I didn't have the answer to and left when he saw that I was clueless. I just kept it myself but I regret it now.... more than ever.

I guess my mom knew what Ace was. She was cautious. And I didn't say anything about it. I could have easily locked him up. But I wanted him to be in my little brother's life; only because I didn't grow up with a father. My little brother Josiah Roshawn Hill was born April 28th. I knew from the moment I first held that little boy in my arms I would protect him with my life. I wish I could say life went smoothly after.

It was summer and I had just ended my freshman year of highschool. I spent most of my time taking care of JoJo. I didn't mind. Mom's shop had gotten so busy and popular. And of course Ace would be out being a criminal. I didn't want Ace and what he did around my brother. Mom started to act strange. One day she would be normal and the next she would act strange. I watched her closely. I knew that something wasn't right. After a long day of summer workouts I came home to notice moms car in the driveway and see Ace pulling out of the driveway. She was probably picking up Jojo to take him to granny's house while she was at work. I walked in the house, and I heard Josiah crying. I quickly ran up the stairs. When I got to my moms room I froze. There she was, bent over sniffing something. She lifted her head and I saw it. Crack. It was all on her nose. She opened her eyes they were rolled to the back of her head. Rage ran through my veins. I knocked the crack and the pipe off the table. I grabbed my mom.
" WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU! THIS IS WHAT YOU DO NOW? AND YOU DOIN' THIS SHIT IN FRONT OF MY BABY BROTHER?"
" It....... makes me feel real good JJ," she said drowsily and smiled. I couldn't believe her. I was so angry. I pushed her hard away from me and grabbed Josiah. I grabbed his diaper bag and stuffed some of his clothes in it. Then I went to my room and grabbed my duffel bag and stuffed clothes in it. Tears blinded me. How could she do that. It was all Ace's fault; He introduced her to that garbage. I put Jojo in his baby carrier and took him downstairs; I grabbed my mom's car keys. A hand grabbed my shoulder. I turned around.
" JJ please don't leave, I'll get some help. I'm so sorry." She was sobbing hard. I pulled her in for a hug. I loved my mom more than anything and I knew me and Jojo need her, and she needed us more than ever. I carried Mom and Jojo to the car and put our bags in. I called granny to let her know what was going on. Then I called the Police. I told them all about Ace. As I was talking to the police Ace pulled up. I guess he heard my conversation and rushed over and knocked my phone out of my hand. I punched him in his jaw and we started fighting. Mom got out of the car and tried to break us up. Ace slapped her hard and she fell and hit her head. I stopped fighting and ran to her. The police finally came and aimed their guns at Ace. He tried to run but a cop shot him in the leg. They ran over and handcuffed him. A cop called for an ambulance. I cried to God asking that my mom would live. The officers then grabbed my brother out of his baby carrier. I ran over and snatched him. The ambulance came and I got in the back of it with mom. I held my little brother protectively in my arms.

Mom stayed in the hospital for about a week. Me and Jojo stayed with granny until she got out and better. Mom called a friend of her who helped run the shop and asked if she could take care of the shop until she got better. Granny stayed with us and helped take care of things. Ace was locked up as far as we knew. Everything was slowly getting back to normal. But I wasn't prepared for what was to come next....

Hey guys!! Please tell me how you like Jacob's background story, I will soon be done with his background in the next chapter. And I will get back to Lucas's P.O.V. Will he be jealous of Jacob and Kayla. Will he apologize. Will Lucas ever get to talk to Kayla alone? Please continue to read, shout out and share my book. I appreciate all of the feed back and comments. - shy 💖