Chapter 21

Author's Note: Hey guys, I'm no expert on PTSD or any sort of disorders similar so if I get anything wrong or if I miss anything out please let me know.

"Hey Peg I was wondering if we could meet up? Maybe for a drink? I need to talk to you about something," say down the phone, twirling the chord around your finger anxiously.

The line goes static for a few seconds while she thinks. "I'm not really in the mood for alcohol but we could meet at the corner coffee shop? How does that sound?"

"Perfect." You shrug. "I'll be there in 10 minutes."

"Oh wow this must be urgent. What's wrong?" she asks.

"It's complicated. I'll explain in person." You huff.

"Okay, see you soon then." Peggy says cheerily before hanging up, the line crackiling out.

You sigh as you grab your coat and pull it on.

"Buck I'm going out for lunch with Peggy. Do you mind watching the kids?" You shout to where he is in the kids bedroom.

"Already onto it doll. Have fun and tell her I say hi." He smiles slightly as he pops his head out of the door to you.

His eyes are bloodshot and surrounded by dark circles after last nights events. There is a glassy distance in his gaze as he kind of avoids looking at you through guilt. He knows you're worried about him and that he's lying to you about something.

"Thank you." You beam as you walk up to him and kiss him goodbye. "And when I get back perhaps you can try have a nap. You look absolutely exhausted babe."

Suddenly his face goes a little paler as if you have accidentally triggered a memory of something bad. Probably last nights nightmare. But you wouldn't know because he refused to talk to you about it.

"I'll see. I think I'm fine." He swallows and shakes his head in denial.

"Please Buck." You beg him, looking up at him concerned.

"So where are you going?" he asks changing the subject.

"The cafe just down the road." You frown.

"How long are you going to be?"

"I don't know, half an hour to an hour maybe." You remark as calmly as possible, frustrated by all the questions. "Anyway I have to go, I'm going to be late. Have fun with the kids."

"Bye now. I love you. Have fun and stay safe," he says as you walk off.

"Thanks! Love you too!" You call just as you head out. "Bye kids!"

You suck in the cold air of the outside as you walk down the path to try and sooth your nerves.

God, anyone would think he was your mother and that you were up to no good or something from that last comment.

You hurriedly walk to the shop as quickly as possible. You need to talk to Peggy. Things are getting worse.

"Sorry I'm late." You huff as you walk into the small shop and see her already waiting at a small table in the corner.

The space is warm and inviting and you didn't realise how cold you were until now. The last of winter is still hanging around.

"You should be, you were the one who rushed me to get here in the first place," Peggy jokes.

"Sorry, but it happened because of the exact reason I'm wanting to talk to you." You sigh as you plop down in the seat across from her.

The two of you order a coffee each and as soon as they are there you get down to business.