Chapter 27

Bucky comes and plonks himself beside you as he starts to wrap his knuckles, getting ready for a sparring session with Steve.

"Now remember." He he says slowly as he winds a bandage around his metal hand; the only reason he does that hand is for the protection of others. "Even if it looks like we are hurting each other we aren't, so don't freak out."

"Okay." You nod.

"Good." He smiles.

But then you see him lift up his flesh hand and as he flexes it he winces. Just as he's about to start wrapping it you grab it and stop him.

"Buck!" You gasp as you examine it.

It's puffy and bruised and there are grazes on each of his knuckles.

"What?" He shrugs.

"You're hand!" you exclaim worried.

"It doesn't hurt." He shrugs.

You give him a look. "Then why did you just wince?"

"Look." He sighs. "It's just what happens when you punch someone."

And with that he gets up and goes over to Steve. You can't help but shudder at his words.

"Don't worry about him, he's going to be fine," Peggy murmurs from beside you. "He was merely just protecting his son, as any father would. He just doesn't know the full extent of his abilities yet. You said for yourself, he scared himself."

You nod trying to convince yourself. You told Peggy all about what happened yesterday after she came running up to you frantically after reading about it in the paper.

"And like you were saying earlier, he's more like his old self again now right? It's a distraction from his thoughts and he's doing it for the right reasons," she continues.

"You're right." You nod in agreement.

You watch as Bucky strides over to Steve who is waiting for him, leaning against a rail with a cocky smirk on his face.

"Took your time? You putting things off because you're too scared?" You hear Steve say.

"Now now punk, its good to see you have hope but don't get too confident because I'm about to kick your ass," Bucky shoots back.

"Pathetic aren't they?" Peggy shakes her head.

"Come on boys! That's enough with the smack talk! Let's get to the fighting." Howard Stark shouts from one of the benches near yours.

You turn around and look at him laughing. "Strange, they look like grown men but they're acting like children."

"Perhaps the serum affected their brains in the wrong way," he jokes.

"Yeah Stevie come on, stop mucking around and let's go," Bucky teases, taking up his stance, bouncing on his toes and banging his hands together to hype himself up.

Quickly they start sparring, throwing punches and kicking each other. However, soon enough one of the trainers comes in holding up an array of guns and knives and other weapons.

"Okay guys weapons are up for grabs now!" He shouts to them.

You gasp in fright at this.

"Don't worry, they aren't real. They're made of rubber and fake," Peggy whispers sensing your concern.

"The guns don't actually fire either. They're just to simulate an actual fight. You watch, in order to get the weapons too they have to continue fighting whilst trying to get them, which is a possible situation in a fight. It's all to help them keep improving," Howard explains as he suddenly comes to sit beside you.