Chapter Fourteen

Kat watched from the top of a roof beside Queenie and Tina as Newt maneuvered his way swiftly through the crowd, accidentally-on purposely bumping into Jacob, who had no memory of their adventure.

"Hey!" Jacob yelled after Newt, who quickly Disapparated the minute he was in an alleyway. Kat smiled sadly at her uncle who appeared beside her. She watched Jacob try to lift up the case, and giggle. Then he opened the case and would read the note.

Dear Mr. Kowalski, You are wasted in a canning factory. Please take these Occamy eggshells as collateral for your bakery.

A well-wisher

Then more writing.

I mis u an cant wait 2 ce u at the weding!

Courtesy of Kat, of course.
~~~
Kat approached her uncle. "Daddy, we need to talk." Newt turned around in amusement to see a Kat with a serious look in her face, and his tie around her neck, messily tied.

"Yes, Ms Scamander?" Newt asked leaning against his table.

"I want to know, that - that you love me." Kat's voice was small, making Newt look at her in adoration.

"Sweetheart," Newt began," I do love you. It's just been a few busy days-"

"I want to make sure, that you won't leave me. Like my real dad did. I-I thought you were. When all those creatures escaped, I thought you were going to throw me out." Kat looked so small and innocent, Newt wanted to scoop her up and give her a hug.

"Kat, I won't do that to you. I love you. It's just, those creatures could cause more havoc than you could. I'm sorry if I've been distracted to you these last few days. But I promise. I will not leave you."

Kat smiled and hugged him. Newt lifted her up. "I love you Daddy."

"Love you too, Kat."
~~~
Tina walked with Newt and Kat to the dock. She mentally braced herself for some mushy stuff.

"Well, it's been..." Newt began smiling.

"Hasn't it!" Tina said beaming. Then she hesitated. "Listen, Newt, I wanted to thank you."

"What on earth for?" Newt asked smiling. Kat rolled her eyes.

"Well, you know, if you hadn't said all those nice things to Madam Picquery about me - I wouldn't be back on the investigative team now." Tina said eyes shining.

"Well - I can't think of anyone that I'd rather have investigating me." Kat cringed and face palmed. "Bad flirter alert!" went off in her head.

"Well, try not to need investigating for a bit." Tina said shyly.

"I will. Quiet life for me-" You mean us. Kat thought sighing "-from now on...back to the Ministry...deliver my manuscript..."

"I'll look out for it. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them." Tina said. There was a pause. Kat mulled over the name. Alright. It was pretty good.

Tina plucked up her courage suddenly. "Does Leta Lestrange like to read?" Kat's mind thought back to the picture Newt carried - her mother apparently.

"Who?" Newt asked blankly.

"The girl whose picture you carry-"

"I don't really know what Leta likes these days because people change." Newt butted in, avoiding the topic of Kat's mother in front of said person. Kat bit her lip.

"Yes."

"I've changed. I think. Maybe a little."

"We all have." Kat said quietly. Then the shop's horn blew. Kat leapt up in surprise.

"I'll send you a copy of my book, if I may." Newt muttered awkwardly. Kat stomped her foot. No! Deliver it to her in person!

"I'd like that." Tina said, evidently taking anything she could get. Newt gazed at Tina, while Kat gagged in the background. His gaze was affectionate. He reached out and tucked her hair behind her ear. Kat seriously felt like punching someone. At least kiss! She begged. Then Newt was walking off. Before he paused and rushed back.

"I'm so sorry - how would you feel if I gave you your copy in person?" Kat squealed happily, which caused both grown ups to give her a weird look but she was too busy cheering to notice.

A radiant smile broke out in Tina's face. "I'd like that. Very much." Newt couldn't help but grin at her as he walked away, forgetting about Kat, so she had to hurry to catch up.

"She looked happy." Kat remarked. "At least you didn't do anything too stupid." Newt seemed to dazed to talk to her.

"Oh. You look happy too. You know what I hear in the future? Wedding bells." Kat chuckled before getting whacked at the back of the head gently. "Hey! It's true!"