Chapter 17 - A King without his Queen

Kyla hurried behind him.

Nikos was walking unsteadily, blindly heading towards the archway of the great hall, probably heading towards the forests beyond.

Her mind was in turmoil.

How did things get so out of hand in such a short while?

She had planned to explain it to Nikos after this... But his temper had flared in a nanosecond.

Nikos' hand touched a vase and it burst into a million shards right at her feet. She scurried forward, regardless.

She had to reach him.

Make him understand that she had not abandoned him.

His footsteps quickened and soon he was jogging, making his way to the forest. His vision was getting blurred as he tripped on uneven land.

The sound from the hall blurred as they left the castle behind.

Kyla felt salt on her lips. She hadn't realized it, but silent tears were falling from her eyes.

"Nikos stop", she blurted out, when she couldn't catch up to his speed. She didn't want him to dis-appear.

Not when he was in this state.

Nikos heard her whisper, and even in his haziness he felt her tears as they fell from her eyes to the grass.

He had to get away from her. But yet, he stopped.

Why was she crying?

He didn't turn back.

"Kyla", he tried to bring out her name angrily. But instead, it came out gruffly; yearningly. "What is it?" he asked her sadly, "what is remaining to be said?"

Kyla had a whole load of explanation planned out. In that moment however, only two words came out, "I'm sorry", she whispered.

"Sorry?" Nikos whispered incredulously. He laughed into the cold night air, not sure of how swallow this situation.

"What exactly are you sorry for?" he was angry now. He took a few menacing steps towards his mate but stopped himself, a safe distance from her, when he realized the control on his temper was fast moving beyond common sense. "Are you sorry for not wanting to be my queen? Are you sorry for rejecting me?" he hurtled at her, "or are you sorry that I was picked as your mate? Come on, now tell me, which part are you sorry for?"

Kyla looked him as his temper flared.

"I'm sorry I cannot be your queen", she whispered.

Nikos stilled in his tracks.

Even with the whisper, he had heard her voice clearly.

And it pierced his heart.

Time stood still as he was not sure how he could respond to this direct statement from his mate.

Her head was now bowed to the ground. He felt her tears fall on the grass.

After a huge pause, he heard her whisper, "I don't want you to get hurt because of me".

"What?"

He was not sure he heard her right.

"Kyla, I've never been as hurt as I've been today, in my entire life", he replied miserably. He was not sure what she was getting at.

"And for that, I'm very sorry", she looked up into his eyes and he could see the sincerity in her eyes. "I never expected you to look at the situation so differently."

"Nikos, the people hate me. They don't want me to be queen", she told him.

"And to hell with what others think", Nikos replied irately, "you are my queen. Nothing and nobody can change that."

"And what kind of Queen would I be?", Kyla questioned him, "a namesake one? No one would have faith in me to solve their problems. Addition to that, no one would rely on the Royal family anymore. Right now, the only thing that will happen is that everyone will lose their trust in the Royal family. They will rebel. And I'll be putting everyone's life in danger."

Nikos paused.

"A leader should not rule by fear, but rather with respect. That is something I learnt very well in my old pack", she begged him to understand, "Please Nikos, please don't force me to be Queen."

Nikos emotions where conflicted. He stepped towards his mate, now only a hands distance from him.

He touched her face softly, his eyes glazed, "How is that you're so wise, my dear little mate?" he laughed at his own senselessness. His parents had tried to make him understand and he had not listened to them. "The people are so lucky to have you as their Queen, and they don't even know it. The Moon Goddess does work wonders when choosing a Royal Mate, right?"

He felt like a huge weight was slowly being removed from his heart and he was finally being able to breathe properly again.

"So what now?" he queried his mate looking up at him, not understanding his sudden change of mood, "you don't want to be my Queen but you're okay with being my mate. Is that it?"

"Yes", she replied immediately, not pausing to think for even a second.

He was taken aback at her direct response and a huge smile crept up his face. Why did he get angry with her? She was so adorable.

"I've never heard of a Royal mate who doesn't become a Queen. I will take some time to get used to this idea", he looked at her thoughtfully, "next time Kyla, let's discuss things between ourselves before taking such drastic actions. I don't think my heart can handle any more shocks", he joked.

Kyla was feeling very regretful when she heard this. She never meant to hurt Nikos.

That was the last thing she wanted to do.

Maybe because he was looking so forlorn and sad, or maybe because he was standing so close to her and her emotions were heightened, Kyla's hands involuntarily moved round his waist and she hugged him.

Her head was resting on his chest.

And in the stillness of the forest around her, the only sound she heard was the rapid beating of his heart.