- What a shocker -

Chapter seven

-
I was laughing evilly.

I was in my prime.

I was getting under his skin and I loved it.

I should've been born an evil genius with a beautiful deadly laugh, a cat, rotating chair and a deep lair.

"I don't get how this is a win for you?" Felix broke me from my sweet daydream, making me frown and stare at him.

"He doesn't like me ignoring him for some reason," I said slowly, trying to see if he realises why it's a win for me. Felix only raised his brown eyebrows, shrugging his shoulder.

It was true though.

After the diner incident two weeks ago, I decided to stay true to my words and ignore Theo. I tell myself that the reason i'm doing it is for my own sake because I'm much better without him, but really, I was more... curious to see what he'd do. Theo acted like a king because he was treated that way all his life.

I assumed he'd give two reactions, A) not care at all and leave me equally alone, or, B) show some reaction, and a reaction it was.

Which made sense, he after all, has thrown up to me before about me ignoring him even though that wasn't as intentional as it was now.

At first, last week, I made sure to not glance his way, even when one of his stupid friends bellowed a remark. Even when we were both passing one another in the hallway and even when he'd glance at me during class.

I made it my mission to avoid his existence, no matter how much my body desperately reacted to his presence, yearning for contact even if it was just a stare. Pathetic right? Absolutely but what can I do? Lock myself in a freezer?

To sum it up, I was basically giving all my attention to anything but him.

It was the Wednesday when I decided to see if he actually did display any reaction to the cheap game I was playing. So when a smitten girl grew jealous at Theo staring over at me (I could feel his gaze in the hall) she put her invisible cape on and approached me, evidently angry. Her snide comment only made me smile.

The first thing I noticed was the furrow of his eyebrows. My little to none reaction had him curious. He'd expect me to say something snarky, not to shrug my shoulders after two days of deliberate ignoring.

This was fun.

Fun because someone like Theo had such a high self worth that someone like me, a person he rejected, wasn't fazed or obsessing over him, was an insult to his ego. A shock. Painfully obvious, and let me tell you, it definitely caught his attention.

At first, holding myself back from saying a comment or showing reaction was difficult, but now, it was extremely worth it if it meant I could slap him in his face without even needing to raise my hand.

By Friday, I could feel him staring more and more. I could feel the scrutinising gaze drill into me like laser beams.

"And that's how I'm winning."

"Hm," Felix muttered after hearing me explain all that. "I thought it shouldn't matter what he does though?"

"Well," I was perplexed, pulling my head back and blinking. "I... I..." Felix was shooting me the look he does when he knows he's right. I huffed, collapsing into the back of my backpack. "Look," I nodded, narrowing my eyes and staring off into the distance. "He was a jerk to me, for no reason. I think I deserve to get a kick out of seeing him get annoyed."