6] a segue

a/n: this is unedited, so there may be minor typos. sorry in advance! <3

summer- imagine dragons

~HOSEOK'S POV~

"So, what's the deal with Y/N?" Kai asked Hoseok later that same night as they unloaded the surfboards from the truck after dropping you off at your house. Lea and Felix had already headed home, and Kaylen was inside.

"What do you mean?" Hoseok asked, hanging the second to last surfboard up on the rack.

"I mean what are your intentions with her? Why is she still around?" Kai had an uncomfortable edge to his voice.

"Whoa there, what's your problem?"

"I don't have a problem, I'm just curious. It's pretty rare that a person has the privilege of infiltrating our group, and I've never seen you date a single girl while being here. So, I wanna know. What makes Y/N so different?" Kai passed the last surfboard over as he spoke.

"She hasn't infiltrated anything. For the record, it was Lea that invited her in the first place," Hoseok noted as he hung it up.

"You then proceeded to encourage that invitation," Kai crossed his arms, leaning against the truck. Hoseok let out a sigh, turning around to face his questioning, stubborn friend.

"What do you want me to say, Kai? I can't explain my feelings to you because I don't understand them myself," Hoseok shrugged, "She's fun to be around. She's new here, and probably lonely. If I'm being honest, I've been kinda lonely too these days...It just seems nice to have a new person around, that's all."

"Why are you lonely when you have all of us?" Kai was automatically on the defensive, not at all to Hoseok's surprise. His friend was one that was easily jealous and quick to get his feelings hurt. Hoseok usually didn't get frustrated with this difficult quality of Kai's personality as he knew that it was rooted in negative past experiences and self-loathing. But, right now, Kai's attitude was irritating to Hoseok.

"Just because a person has great friends doesn't mean they don't get lonely sometimes, or crave a different kind of relationship. I love you, Lea, and Kaylen like siblings, but that doesn't mean I don't want a girlfriend or maybe a wife someday, you know? It's just I've noticed myself considering my future more often lately, and I know that I want another person to be apart of it."

Kai was silent for a moment, pursing his lips as he both digested and considered Hoseok's words. "I understand that."

"You do?"

"Yeah, I get it. I'm sorry if I came on too strong. You know how I can be," Kai stood completely then. "I'm guessing you think that Y/N could be this person that you're yearning so bad for?"

Hoseok walked alongside Kai as they both headed out the garage, and to the door to enter the house. "I don't know. Our relationship is new, so I don't want to label or expect anything out of her. We may not even connect on a level that deep yet, again, I don't know. I just know that I want to get to know her and see where it goes. So, assuming you no longer have a problem with it, she's going to be around a lot from here on out," Hoseok explained, pulling open the door.