Stretch Your Wings

Jeanne's POV
One year later:
Living in Newt's small apartment had taken some getting used to, but I loved London nonetheless.

The Ministry of Magic had accepted me back after hearing about my ordeal in New York. Apparently I was a "hero". I mean, I guess you could say that.

I now got a chance to pursue my writing career in journalism. Mostly editing the articles in the Daily Prophet now, but I hope to work my way up.

It's been a year since Newt's book hit the shelves of Flourish and Blotts. It's been so successful that Hogwarts is mandating their third years buy it for a new class: care of magical creatures.

Newt said he'd get to be a guest speaker sometime during the school year, and that I was invited to teach as well.

It was the weekend. I sat in my favorite chair, looking out the dirtied window of the apartment.

I picked up a small book, a muggle written book, and began reading

A few minutes later, Newt stumbled through the door, arms full of groceries from Diagon Alley. "Afternoon, love," Newt greeted me.

I got up and gave him a kiss, taking a few bags from his hands. He set the rest down on the kitchen counter.

I felt the urge to hug him tightly. Newt was a little confused.

"Something wrong, dear?" he asked, returning the hug.

"No," I said. "Just needed a hug."

"Well, alright then," Newt said. "I'll take a hug from you any time," he said, tapping my nose playfully.

Pickett squeaked within his pocket. Newt pulled him out, setting him on his palm.

"Do you want your other mummy?" Newt asked him. Pickett reached for me like a child.

"Alright," I said, taking him gently and resting him on my shoulder.

"You're such a baby sometimes, Pickett," Newt teased. Pickett stuck out his tongue and blew a raspberry.

"So, Jeanne," Newt started. "Do you maybe want to go out tonight?" he asked rather quickly.

"On a date?"

Newt nodded.

"I'd love to," I said.

~~~

I was not expecting Newt to take me to a little stone bench on the top of a hillside. Well, we went to eat at a local restaurant first.

Afterwards, Newt told me to close my eyes, then he grabbed me by the hand and we apparated.

The sun was just beginning to set when we got there. I sat down on the bench and looked around in awe.

"Newt," I breathed. "H-how'd you find this place?"

All he said was, "A friend recommended it."

"Well, it's beautiful, peaceful," I breathed. "Why'd you take me here?"

"Well, muggles don't ever come here. I thought you could, you know, stretch you wings," he said, scratching the back of his neck bashfully. "We've been holed up in the apartment for a year or so. Thought we could get out a bit."

I let out a little squeal and hugged him tightly. I breathed in the musty smell of his jacket and rested my cheek against his freckled one.

"Thank you," I giggled. I kissed him as I pulled away.

"Well, what're you waiting for?" Newt laughed.

I unclipped my wings from their harness that kept them flush with my body. Newt was actually the one who'd given me the harness for Christmas. He's been tinkering and hiding it from me. This way, I didn't have to wear and oversized coat to hide them.

I stretched my dark feathers, flapping gently. I hadn't flown since the accident in New York. My wings had been broken and I hadn't been able to test them out since.

I pulled Newt to a stand off the bench. I stood on my tiptoes, my lips reaching his chin. He closed the gap, kissing me sweetly. As we pulled away, Newt gently brushed a loose strand of hair out of my face.

Suddenly, I grabbed ahold of his waist. With one flap we shot up into the air.

"MERLIN'S BEEEAAARRD!" Newt yelled, startled.

As I slowed my ascension, once we'd reached a pretty high altitude, Newt turned ghostly pale, looking down.

I laughed.

Newt did not. He was gripping me with white knuckles.

"I've got you," I said with a smile. Newt was still stuck on the fact we were hundreds of feet of the ground. My wings flapped, keeping us afloat, not moving up nor down. "Hey, hey," I said calmingly. "Look at me."

As he did, his eyes were filled with strain and worry. "I'd really like to be put down now, p-please."

"Alright," I said. I stopped flapping my wings and we dropped like a bullet through the air straight towards the ground. The wind whipped around my curly hair, pulling it upward. Newt let out a very non-masculine scream.

Finally I flapped my wings, catching us and floated down slowly, a mere few inches from the ground.

I peeled Newt off myself and set him on the stone bench.

"That's was—" Newt started.

"Insane," I finished.

"SPECTACULAR!"