Chapter sixteen: Run with the lions.

"Are you serious?" I grinned and Asher tossed my backpack in the backseat then motioned for me to get in. I squealed and climbed into the passenger seat. I closed the door just as Asher got in.

I'm about to go for a ride in literally the worlds fastest car. "Jude would flip if he saw this." I laughed as we exited the school parking lot and onto the back roads.

"I don't trust Jude." He spat his name as if it were poison. "He knows who I am so he has to be in the diavolos." 

I nodded, "Yea. I figured. I just can't believe he didn't tell me, you know? We've always been so close...it kind of hurts that he didn't tell me."

"I'd be hurt too, to be honest." He sighed. "Hey, congrats on your poem by the way."

"What?" I asked.

"The poem...the one the teacher read in class. I read it in your journal, remember?" He said awkwardly. It took me a moment then I nodded.

"Sorry I didn't get much sleep." I ran a hand through my hair.

"You can tell."

I scoffed, "Rude."

"No I mean you have bags under your eyes. Why didn't you sleep?" He rolled his eyes.

"Jude. He insisted on a movie marathon. All. Night. Long." I groaned at the memory of it. "By the time we finished the last movie, it was time to get ready for school."

"Damn what the hell?" He said shaking his head as we arrived at an abandoned warehouse with giant tracks. "Ready?" He asked and I nodded with a grin. "Hold on." He laughed then we took off. Instantly I began laughing hysterically as we went over two hundred miles per hour. We went around the track twice before he parked and climbed out.

"Oh my god! That was awesome! How did you learn to do that?" I felt very awake and alert and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

"I've always been very attracted to danger." He laughed lightly, he couldn't wipe the smile off his face either.

"Adrenaline junkie." I stated and he shrugged and leaned against the car besides me.

"I guess some call me an adrenaline junkie, but its more than that. I crave things most people are too afraid to do, I am attracted to people others are too afraid to speak to.  I try to keep my reckless behavior to a minimum, I really do.  I try to be less impulsive, more structured, but I just get so bored.  I guess at the end of the day some of us run with lions and some of us run away from them. I will never be the latter." He shrugged nonchalantly.

"That was seriously so amazing, Asher! Thank you!" I said as I ran a hand through my dirty blonde hair.  

"Do you want to drive it?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh..no no...I mean yes but I-I can't drive this if I mess it up I'll feel really bad and I wouldn't be able to-"

"Get it." He tossed me the keys and climbed into the passenger seat. I looked at him as if he were insane. "Come on."

I bit my lip in hesitation but ran over to the drivers seat and buckled up.

"Okay. Basically it's the same thing as a regular car, except for the stick shift. See this?" He motioned towards the gear and I nodded, "It's normal except when you go here, it gives the car a boost. So start off like you're driving normally." He motioned for me to go.

I turned the car on and began to go normal speed.

"Okay, put more pressure on the gas." I chewed my lip nervously and he sighed putting one of his hands on the bottom of the steering wheel, "Don't worry, you're fine. Press the gas harder." He stated and I did as he said. Next thing I know, I'm going 350 mph on the track and I'm whipping around the corners like I've been doing this for years. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face, even when a police car appeared out of no where.

"Hey Noah?"

"Yes?" I turned to Asher.

"Ever been in a car chase?" I shook my head no and he snorted, "There's a first time for everything. Hit it." He stated and my eyes widened. Instantly, we sped off, I followed his directions and somehow managed to swerve through the cars without hitting anyone or messing up the car. Eventually, we came to a screeching halt in front of the school. Everyone that was piling out of the school stopped and stared in confusion. I began laughing then turned to Asher. "I almost killed you."

"But I'm alive." He pointed out and we climbed out of the car. Instantly, whispers erupted once again. We saw four police cars make their way into the parking lot. "Shit. Go." He stated and I ran into the school and he sped off.

"What the hell is going on?" Damien grabbed my arm as he and Blake stared at me in horror. "He let you drive? He doesn't even let his dad drive it!"

I nodded and couldn't contain my laughter, "Then the police came and I had to- I had to run from them for about a half hour till we got here then they-" I couldn't tell if I was laughing or crying at this point.

"Noah?" Blake asked in confusion, "Are you okay?"

"What the fuck happened? Are you okay?" Jude ran over to me and cupped my face. I nodded and pushed his hands away. "Okay I'm sorry but were you just driving-"

I nodded and his eyes widened and he began to gush about the car as we made our way home.

"Wait- Jude please don't tell my dad." I cut him off when we got to my front door and he looked hesitant but nodded. "And if my sisters try saying it was me, it wasn't cause I was with you?" I asked hopefully and he nodded.

"God you're lucky I'm more loyal to you than your dad."

I took the opportunity to get answers, "What do you mean?"