C H A P T E R 6

You know that moment, when fear has escaped you. When you are standing in the middle of a field of flowers, knowing, or you think you know nothing will happen. How could it happen anyways right? It was the best moment of your life, and suddenly the ground starts to shake, tearing through the hard muddy ground, as flower gets stuck.

Could you imagine?

Once you were standing in an ocean of flowers, the next you realize disaster just struck. A disaster chosen by faith. Faith is funny right? More horrendous I presume.

The beep wouldn't leave my ears. I stood there in fear as the other surgeons took over. The blood on my gloves dropped to the ground almost as if it was a new music rhythm to my ears.

"Her pulse is dropping" Called out a doctor.

"We need to page cardio!" Called out the other.

"Let me just clip this aneurysm!" Dr. Hamza beamed out.

"Put her on bypass!"

"Not yet!"

"Dr. Aiyla!" Someone called out for me. Yet I was lost in the rhythmic motions of the beating machine. "Dr. Aiyla! Page Cardio!"

My head snapped at one of the nurses, and I instantly did. Grabbing my pager, I 911 Dr. Keen to OR2.

"Dr. Aiyla! Come here" Dr. Hamza spoke out firmly. My heart was sinking inside, I looked at the man behind me, and his head bowed down almost in tears. If I had the guts, and the power I'd strangle the man. It was him, who was not carelessly looking, decided to blindly bump into me and I hit on of the ventricles.

I gulped as I approached him. My eyes quickly glanced at his pale face, he didn't look mad yet all the other nurses and doctors did.

"She shouldn't have been working here" I heard a whisper from behind me.

That hit me like a dagger right through my heart.

"Enough all of you!" Dr. Hamza voice was loud and scary, making me take a step back. Everyone remained quiet and looked at him. "Is it her fault that she clipped the wrong area? No, did she even clip an area? No! She's a student more so like most of you, I am the head of this neuro department and I will not tolerate any ignorance or hate towards my students, do you hear me! And if you dare, say anything about her being a Muslim, let me tell you, I am a Muslim too, and we Muslim are the best and the most caring in town. Show respect! And You!"

He pointed towards the girl nurses who were chit chattering.

"Out of my OR. You, Call cardiac! Stop panicking she is not dying!" He yelled, and finally got to work.

I was terrified to stand next to Dr. Hamza Aasim ever since. He was loud, and seemed to get what he wanted.

"So, it is okay Aiyla, things happen. Let me just show you how it's done"

He took the clip and clipped the vessel, and stitched one that was bleeding. My heart started to bounce even harder as he offered me to close up. I wanted to disagree so badly, but I didn't want to sound like a baby. So I nodded my head, and took is spot, and stitched my way around the former U shape I had cut.

"Amazing mashallah" He said softly. The change in tone was peculiar – he is probably my key to success.

"Jazakallah" I finally decided to say a word.

"Good Job" another doctor approached.

The doors flew open, as Dr. Keen rushed inside the surgery room with Hana along with her. Her eyes shot up to me, raising an eyebrow, questioning of what had happened. I widened my eyes darting away, hoping she gets that I meant that I'll talk to her later. Allowing the doctors talk to each other, as he fills in detail for Dr. Keen I stepped out un-scrubbing myself.