Chapter Fifty-Six

"I'm gonna take Linc to the movies tonight if he wants to go." Becky unclipped her seat belt and looked across at Rob. "If you wanna meet us, that'd be great." She lifted the corner of her mouth and shrugged. "If you want to."

Rob reached over and touched her face. He undid his belt and kissed her. "Send me a text and let me know for sure." He smiled. "We're all good, Becky. Don't look at me like you're scared." He caressed her cheek with his fingers. "Are you working tomorrow?"

"Yes. Ten to two."

"Me too." Rob grinned. "How about we take a drive after work. We could go out along Ridgelands Road. Shorty says there's a good swimming hole out that way. I'll even let you drive."

"I haven't got my license yet."

"Have you got a learner's?"

"Yeah. I haven't done many hours. We haven't got a car because... since..." Becky shrugged again. "You know. Mum."

"Right. Sorry." Rob eased out a breath and rubbed his hand over his chest. "Maybe we could do something about that. Bring your logbook. Every time I drive I'll clock the hours and we'll find an adult to sign it off." He smirked. "What do you say?"

"Who?" Becky gave him a disbelieving look. "Your father."

"Maybe not." Rob laughed and clicked on his seat-belt. "There'll be someone. Gotta go. Text me."

Becky got up on her knees and took his face in both of her hands. "Thank you." She put her lips on his. "I'll text you."

She stood on the edge of the park and waved as he drove away.

When she turned, Becky Hamilton was at the swing pushing one of her kids backwards and forwards. The other two were in the sandpit. "Who's he?" she sneered.

Becky stopped walking and put her hands in her pockets. "Cousin."

"What? Kissin' cousin." Becky Hamilton scoffed and tittered. "Woo...hoo...Becky Bridgestone is fucking her cousin." She pushed her kid again. "What do you think of that Timmy? Do you want to fuck your cousin one day? I did." She laughed once more and jerked her head at Becky. "It's fun ain't it, Becky? Fucking your cousin."

The kid was five. Becky shook her head and couldn't believe the woman was saying this in front of her son. "I'm not doing that."

"Whatever you reckon. I won't tell anyone."

Her father was passed out on the couch as she walked past the lounge entry and headed to the bedroom she shared with Linc.

"Where have you been?" Linc asked as he bolted to sitting. He put his book face down on the bed as he blurted, "Are you and Ro..."

Becky clamped her hand over his mouth. "Linc. No." She leaned in and whispered in his ear. "I told you. Don't ever mention Rob in this house."

Linc pulled his head back and protested, "But Dad's out of it."

"I don't care. Don't say his name."

"Okay." Linc shrugged and ventured, "Are you fighting?"

"No." Becky sat down on her bed and jerked her head toward the door. "Was Dad out of it when you got home?"

"He wasn't here, just got back, I don't know, maybe an hour ago. He didn't even come to the door. Just sat in the lounge and shot up."