20. The Tower

I ran at full speed down the crowded New York street. The extremis kept my endurance up and helped me run with speed. It felt like I was running a marathon. People stepped out of the way to avoid me. New Yorkers don't care what you're doing in all honesty. They hardly notice you until you make a scene.

      I slipped in between the crowd, spotting my Tower in the distance. It was getting closer. Lucky for me I know these roads like the back of my hand, if I slip down some alleys I'll be there in no time. Seeing the tower filled me with a nostalgic feeling.

      All those times standing by the windows, over looking the beautiful city. Taking in every building, every road, ever spec of a person who walked the streets. Falling asleep to the sparkling canvas of an urban setting was a like a dream, a dream that I had so long ago.

      In the corner of my eye, I spotted a bicycle sitting under a street lamp. People walked by it, not paying the red vehicle a second glance. I made my way over there, noticing the hand written note attached to the handle. I lowered my jackets hood and felt a smirk rise up on my lips as I read.

"Is this your bike? If not, don't steal it!" - Spider-man.

      I laughed out loud and removed the note from the bike, sliding it into my back pocket. Classic Peter Parker. It's not stealing if I'm taking it for the greater good, right? I kicked my leg over the seat and took off down the sidewalk. This will get me there much faster.

      I road the bike lane for a few minutes before skidding down an alley. The tower was coming up fast. My heart was tightening with nerves. It has been two months since I've been home. What if my Dad is there in the tower right now? I pedaled through a traffic of cars and rode onto the another side. I jumped off the bike and left it on the sidewalk.

      This reminded me of running through the streets back during the Battle of New York. The Quinn-Jet landed and Steve told me to get back to Stark Tower. I ran through the alien fire and pedestrian frenzy. It wasn't my first time being in a life or death situation, and it certainly wasn't my last.

      I climbed the front stairs of the building and pushed open the main front doors. The secretary who usually sits at the front desk had went home for the night. There were no voices in the building, all the action was up top. I went to the stairwell and started my decent up to the top floor.

***

      Stephanie had entered the abandoned warehouse. Maxwell had given her a hand drawn map of the facility which she held tight in her fingers. Peter had gone to confront Toomes, and it was her job to rescue her Father as quick as possible. She slipped down a dark and narrow hallway, passing by several unlocked doors. The seconds ticked by, soon the plane would take off and Toomes plan would be underway.

      She opened each door, hoping to find her Father in one of the rooms. A wooden door at the end of the hallway was the only one that was locked. She twisted the knob but no luck. This was either a really important room... or someone was inside. Stephanie stepped back from the door readied herself. She charged, jumping up and colliding the bottom of her foot with the door.

      With her incredible force, and loads of skill, she cracked the door and the lock was unhooked. The door swung open, revealing a dark room. She flipped on the light and a bloodied, but alive man sat with his legs and arms tied.

      "Dad" she breathed in relief, feeling her voice crack. She ran forward and slid to her knees, waisting no time in cutting the ropes away with her knife.

      "Steph?" Henry breathed, blood staining his face. Bruises coated his arms and neck. Burn marks stained his arms.

      "Oh my God, Dad, Dad I'm so sorry this happened" she cupped his cheeks with her hands, tears filling her blue eyes "Dad I'm so sorry, I can't even begin to-"

      "You're sorry for rescuing me?" Henry replied weakly, coughing from the dryness of his throat "Because I'm not" he gave a pain filled smile.

      "Jessi and I, along with the guy called Spider-man. We've come to rescue you and put a stop to all of this. Can you stand?" She asked, putting her arm around his shoulder.

      "We'll sure see darling" he grunted, using her as support and slowly made his way up to his feet. Stephanie hardly struggled against his weight. She kept one hand around his back and another on his chest "Are you alright?"

"Yeah" she nodded.

      Henry stopped moving, he looked to his daughter and smiled, placing a hand on her cheek. Her eyes filled with tears. That whole week of not knowing if he was alright. Sure, he's immortal and all, but not knowing where your own Father is... it pained her every second of the day "You have made me so proud Stephanie" he kissed her forehead "I can't express my gratitude to you"

      Stephanie shifted her hold on him and started to make her way to the door. He had his arm over her shoulder "Well, don't thank me yet Dad. We still have a long night ahead of us"