Chapter Eighteen | Our Spot

The following day, Sebastian left early in the morning, claiming he had important business to tend to in London. Yet, he promised to take Darrel to dinner one more time before he left England.
    Later in the day, Thomas was polishing the silverware when Carson popped his head in.
    "I found an envelope addressed to your Mr. Barrow, in the corridors upstairs," he informed.
    "Thank you Mr. Carson," Thomas nodded, taking it from him.    
    Carson left. Thomas opened the letter and saw in a familiar handwriting: 'Our spot. 5 o'clock.'
    Thomas smiled and folded it up again, putting it in his breast pocket.

    A little before five o'clock, Thomas managed to escape from the Abbey and headed towards a wooden shed farther into the Downton grounds. It was in the middle of nowhere and to a stranger passing by, it would appear that equipment would be stored inside. Thomas opened the door to find the floor covered with a red blanket, with books on the shelves as well as a deck of cards and other games. Darrel was sitting on the floor, she looked up and smiled.
   "You knew what I was talking about," Darrel grinned, as Thomas closed the door, letting the hanging bulb take over for the lighting.
    "How could I forget?" Thomas shrugged, sitting down next to her.
    The wooden shed had always been their spot. Starting when Darrel was five , she used to hide in it when she was in trouble with her parents or the nanny. When she was 6, Thomas decided to duck into the shed because he was trying to avoid Carson's orders, and they decided to make it their spot. For the next couple years, they would hang out there every now and then, and often sneak food out of the kitchens to eat. Starting when Darrel was 10, and she started to realize that nobody approved of her friendship with Thomas, the two would meet there any time they'd want some time alone to just have a chat, from one friend to another, instead of a master to her servant. Every now and then, they'd meet to have Thomas help her with her homework, and sometimes they'd just sit in silence, enjoying the other person's company.
    "I haven't been here in months," Darrel sighed.
   "Me neither," Thomas nodded, taking a cigarette out and lighting it.
   "Can I have one?"
    "No," Thomas said in a tone that normally would get him reprimanded by his superiors. However, one rule the two of them made years ago was that when they were in their spot, he was not a servant, but her equal.
   Darrel simply shrugged, got out a pack of cards and started shuffling them.
   "So," Thomas said, blowing out a puff of smoke, "why have you called this little meeting?"
    "Do you remember that conversation we had seven years ago?" Darrel inquired.
    "I believe we talked a good deal when you were 7," Thomas smirked.
    Darrel rolled her eyes.
    "It was after you tickled me for a good five minutes for kicking a football in your stomach," Darrel reminded.
    Thomas smiled as he thought of the memory, "Ah, your punishment."
    "Anyways, remember after when we were looking up at the sky, I told you I wanted to go away, and you told me you'd come with me?"
    "I said it'd depend where we were going."
    Darrel gave him a shy smile, then looked down at the deck of cards.
    "Thomas, I want to go away," Darrel said softly.
    "Why?" Thomas replied.
    "I can't do this. I can't take it anymore. Will...will you come with me?"
    "I dunno. I don't think running is the best option in this situation."
    "Why not? It's the perfect plan!"
    "I think everyone would come looking for you."
    Darrel sighed. She put down the cards and placed her head on Thomas' shoulder, a tear ran down her face.
    "I can't do this Thomas," Darrel said quietly, "it's too much."
    Thomas didn't know what to say. So, he put an arm around her, in attempts to comfort her. The pair of them sat in silence, both carrying the burden of their own problems. For Darrel, she was filled with worry about becoming queen, the fact that her mama and papa weren't speaking to each, as well as everything that was happening with Paul and Sebastian. In Thomas' case, he was worried about his friend, if he would ever find someone who would love him as himself and also wished he was able to be there for Darrel, without it being a secret.
    "Tommy," Darrel said in barely a whisper a few minutes later, "let's go away."
    Thomas froze at the use of the nickname Darrel hadn't called him in nearly four years. He didn't know how to reply.
    "It would never work," Thomas said regretfully.
    "It could," Darrel replied.
    "Deep down, you know it wouldn't. Their majesties have relations everywhere, we could never hide from them."
    "But I can't do this! I can't inherit! And I could never abdicate!"
    Darrel broke down into tears. Thomas threw his cigarette aside and pulled Darrel into his arms, letting her cry for a while. Thomas felt as if his heart was breaking. Even though everyone saw him as a cold, evil person, he wasn't. He just needed to find somebody who was willing to be his friend, despite his differences. Thomas considered Darrel to be his one, and only true friend, and to see her in so much pain, was hard for him. Finally, Darrel's tears ceased and she wiped her tears.
    "Feeling better?" Thomas inquired.
    Darrel nodded, "Thank you Thomas, for always being so kind."
    Thomas smiled as she got up.
    "I best be getting back," Darrel sighed, wiping her eyes, "do think about my proposition. I'm determined to go away, even if you won't come with me."
    Thomas sighed, "Well, then I guess I'll need to come. Make sure you don't destroy everything you run into."
    Darrel laughed lightly and gave him a hug.
    "Thanks Tommy," Darrel said softly.
    When she detached from him she said, "Wait a bit before returning. We'll meet here tomorrow, same time, to plan."
    Darrel left the shed, leaving Thomas exasperated and worried. What had he just gotten himself into?