The Party (Part 2)

Chapter Eighteen - The Party (Part 2)

"We're brothers."

I didn't realize my feet had stopped moving and I was standing still infront of him. He stopped moving too and glanced down at me.

"Brothers?" I asked. Maybe I heard it wrong.

"Yeah. We're like brothers," He nodded.

I stared at him in confusion.

"So you're not brothers? Like blood related?"

He chuckled. "No. He's like a brother to me."

Like a brother?

That's something a best friend would say. Alec had a best friend or a friend in the first place?

"Are you talking about Alec Sinclair? My husband? Are you sure about that?"

His green eyes flashed with bewilderment before he nodded. "Ofcourse."

I couldn't help but be even more confused. If he was that good of a friend to Alec as he was claiming, how come I never saw or heard about him before?

Hell! He's lying to me!

I raised a brow at him. "Really? So tell me the reason why I didn't see you at the wedding, Mr. Reed."

His eyes narrowed but I could see the hint of amusement behind his mask. "Good question, Mrs. Sinclair. The wedding was on such a short notice that I couldn't get off my busy schedule. Alec did want me to be his best man but since I couldn't be there, he had to pick a random employee from his company which got him really mad at me. Maybe that's why he never mentioned me within these two weeks."

His explanation made little sense as I thought over it. Maybe he wasn't lying.

"But," He started again. "He must have mentioned me atleast once in all those months you've been dating, right?"

His eyes were suddenly sharp like he was accusing me of something and I found myself shifting uncomfortably from one foot to other.

I nodded. "Ofcourse he did."

"Really? Then I wonder why you couldn't recognize me the moment I told you my name," His tone was mocking and it seemed like he was challenging me. Almost like he knew everything.

Could he see through my lies?

"I-I did. I wasn't just sure if you really were Walter Reed because of that mask," I spoke in a confident tone.

To my surprise, he chuckled and nodded. "Ofcourse."

The song had changed and we were now just standing in the middle of the dance floor. I would've excused myself but my curiosity got the best of me as I decided to get some information.

"So you guys met in high school, right?" I spoke discreetly.

"No. Middle school," He corrected.

Middle school!

Is that how long they've known each other? He must be knowing a lot about Alec.

"Right! I can't believe I forgot. That was the first thing he told me about you," I chuckled nervously, hoping he wouldn't see past my act.

If my plan was going the way I had anticipated, maybe I could find something about Alec's family.

"I hope you excuse my weak memory but you guys were neighbours too, right?" I asked.

He seemed confused for a moment. "No. We weren't."

"Oh. Then I might be confusing it with some other friend of his," I spoke.