Ghosts In The Eyes

You can hide 'neath your covers and study your pain.

Make crosses from your lovers, throw roses in the rain.

Waste your summer praying in vain for a savior to rise from these streets......

......There were ghosts in the eyes of all the boys you sent away..... please don't turn me home again, I just can't face myself alone.

-Thunder Road, Bruce Springsteen

Wow, Dylan can really sing!  He does a couple of covers of Rolling Stones and Nirvana, and then a really beautiful, heartbreaking rendition of Springsteen's Dream Baby Dream. If I wasn't already in love with him, then I'm in trouble now. Looking around, I notice I'm not alone.  All the girls in the audience are dreaming under his hypnotic spell, captivated.

After he finishes his last set, he walks over to my table. My anxiety rises. Don't get excited. He's only talking to you because he thinks you're psychic. He believes you might be able to help him learn what happened to his sister. Taking a deep breath, I try to swallow my feelings. They're so heavy and deep, I feel like I'm going to choke on them and drown in a well of desire. Thank God Dylan can't read my mind. He's oblivious to my desperate, wild thoughts as he greets me. "Hey Elizabeth, I'm glad you could make it." I hold my breath as he pauses, taking a good look at me. "Wow, you look really nice."

"Oh, thanks." I'm guilty of never wanting this evening end. What should I tell him first? His step-uncle Jerry is our prime suspect. Or that I've just scared the hell out of Donna by telling her she's going to be dead next week. Uncontrollably, I start laughing. He mistakes this for me having a good time.

"Hey, let's cut out of here after this next set. We can head over to the lake." He glances over his shoulder at the gaggle of girls ogling him. "You know it's more serene there. The moon's out. We can talk in private." I nod, because I couldn't agree more.

Dream Baby Dream