CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1

I stepped off the airplane after being gone and serving my country for 6 years. Now at the age of 24 Xavier breathed in the air in Chicago’s O’Hair airport.

It seems like it was just yesterday when he said good bye to his 4 best friends. Hugged his teary eyed mother and shook the hand of his father. Although he came from money, he rebelled at every turn. It was with the help of a program called BOYS TOWN. That he was finally able to get his act together and finally grow up.

It was his mentor in the program that suggested he channel his anger. Said he should use it for the good of our country, instead of worrying his mother and father to death.  Yes he owed a lot to that program and to those men. He was determined that when he got back he would give back in any way he could.

He raised his head and his eyes landed on the woman and man that had given him life. He wrote to them but because he was not ready, had not come home at all. Now that he truly saw them. His heart constricted with the thought of all the hell he put them through.

He made his way to them and smiled. Not the usual cynical sneer they had grown used to. That was replaced by the warm loving smile they longed to see from their son. The mother’s tears slid silently as she embraced her son and gave a silent prayer to the heavens that he came back in one piece.

The father extended his hand expecting it to be shaken. But the son had other thoughts in mind. He embraced his father and now it was he who had silent tears sliding down the ruggedly handsome face.  “I missed you so much old man.” Xavier whispered to his father.

His father hugged him tighter and all those years of anger and hurt melted away. For his son had left a troubled teen. But what had returned was a man.

“I missed you too my boy. More than you will ever know. Know come on, I have so much to catch you up on. The guys will be waiting for you at home by now. They all wanted to come see you.” His father told him.

“So does that mean Sebastian is back?” Xavier asked.

“No, not yet he will be back in about a week. His mother and the guys are waiting as they were for you to finally make it home.” His mother said and Xavier smiled thinking about his friends.

I remember when I was 15 years old. I traveled to a not so good side of the city. I wanted to score some weed. Yeah I know what you’re thinking. I had never done it before and I was just well curious. So when I went to visit this guy who lived on the west side.

The last thing I expected was to form a strong bond with him and his 4 friends. I don’t knock him for having to sell weed. At the time it was the only way he saw to help his mom with what they needed for the house and for his little sister.

But we managed to get ourselves into a heap of trouble. My home life was perfect and it bothered me to no end. Why where we allowed, to have it all.  When those poor boys were struggling and had nothing. I found myself taking things to them and getting in trouble at home for stealing.