Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List

~ You're the reason, the only reason... ~

Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List

I smiled, cupping Max's face in my hand. "Hey," I laughed, kissing his forehead about a week and a half later, Mayella and Storm dancing at my feet. "Your bruise is almost gone."

Max chuckled a little, turning to kiss my palm. "Yeah," he fake pouted. "I don't look as badass anymore."

I lovingly rolled my eyes, making him grin. "Oh, shut up," I teased him, kissing his cheek and sighing contently, slipping between his back and the back of his chair and sitting down behind him. I slid my arms around his waist and laid my head on his shoulder blade, feeling him relax slightly as he typed on his laptop.

"You comfortable?" he laughed lightly, teasing me as he worked. I giggled and nodded, kissing the back of his neck softly.

"Mhmm..." I murmured. "Very," I told him, wrapping my legs firmly around his body and relaxing gently. "You're warm, and I'm cold."

Max chuckled, tapping his fingers against my hand on his stomach. "How was work?"

I sighed over-dramatically, mumbling something vague and nonsensical into his shirt. "Boring," I told him. "And long."

Max laughed. "How's Lucas?"

I shrugged. "Still trying to figure out how he's gonna be a father. He's coming to terms with it though."

Max nodded. "That probably has something to do with last night."

I nodded slightly, thinking back to the night before when all of us had gone to see Dad. Lucas finally told him about Sophie being pregnant, and how they'd tried to protect themselves. Lucas ended up in tears again, and Sophie held him for a little while, listening as Dad told my best friend that there wasn't anything that could be done about it now. He told Lucas he was proud of him for owning up and being a man about it.

"Probably," I told Max. "He'd been really worried about what Dad would say about it."

Max gave a small noise in response, both of us quieting softly and finding comfort in each other. I hadn't seen him all day, and I'd gone in extra early to help Annie with the baking at work, so needless to say I'd missed my boyfriend.

"I've been thinking about it," Max spoke. "And I think I need to go get some sort of protection for us as well."

I snorted. "Why? I'm on the pill, you watch me take it every day."

Max shrugged, making his shoulders move slightly with the action. "I know it isn't always effective," he stated. "And knowing our luck, we'd be that one percent that still ended up pregnant."

I chuckled slightly. "Baby," I began. "I think we're a bit too... spontaneous for that kind of protection."

Max gave a short laugh. "This is true, I suppose."

I kissed his neck again. "We'll be fine, baby," I told him. "Promise."

Max nodded slightly, shutting his laptop down and closing the lid. "What would you say about going out tonight? Like, dress up and the whole ten yards. We haven't been on a date in a while, little dove."

I smiled. "Sounds perfect," I whispered, unlatching my legs from around his waist. Max laughed lightly, his hand rubbing my right thigh. "I'll go get ready," I whispered, standing and kissing the top of his head, beginning to move away. Max grabbed my hand before I could get very far though, pulling me back and lightly pecking my lips, laughing sweetly as he did so.

"Okay," he chuckled. "I'm alright now... Just wanted a kiss."

I grinned, pecking his lips again. "I'll be ready in an hour," I told him, patting his chest. "I'll be in our bathroom if you need me."