Chapter Sixteen

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Despite the conversation taking a rather dark turn, Remus was thankful that Elspeth shared something personal with him. In a way, it was reassurance that she wouldn't go telling his secret and at least, felt comfortable enough to share something like that. She did tell him before their walk came to an end that his secret would always be safe, no matter what happened between her and Sirius. He thanked her profusely before she smiled and excused herself to find her friend, Penelope. Aware that the boys were waiting for him back in the dorms, Remus headed inside the castle back to the Gryffindor Tower. The smile on his face remained as he entered the dorms and found Peter, James, and of course, Sirius, anxiously waiting on his word.

"So...," Sirius said from his bed, watching as Remus walked in and sat on his own.  He could see the hopeful look on Sirius' face, mixed with the nerves, just internally praying that everything had gone well between the two. Fortunately, Remus was able to nod his head in confirmation that all was well. With the smile and nod, Sirius was able to sigh in relief as he fell back onto his bed with a giddy grin. 

"She took it all fairly well," Remus informed the other three, " granted, I don't think she's going to be joining any of us on the nights of the full moon. I could see that she was still a bit fearful about the whole thing as I would expect people to be at least. But she was really sweet about the whole matter, so I think everything will be fine for now. She promised that no matter what happened between you two..."

He glanced over in Sirius' direction."... that it wouldn't change anything and my secret was safe with her."

"Did she mention anything about how you weren't able to detect her?" James asked. "I mean, she was practically invisible to you-"

"James!" Peter called from his bed before Sirius and Remus could. "Let it go, she's already expressed that she doesn't want to tell us. If she plans on keeping our secrets, we should be thankful. Leave it be before you push her too far and something bad happens."

James made a face. "You know, I'm only doing this for the protection of this group," he said, " maybe at first I was just trying to figure it out to get back at her but it's become a bit more personal now. She knows a lot about us and even though Sirius and she are dating, we still don't know that much about her. I don't want anyone getting hurt. I know you say she isn't like that but how can we know that for sure, before this year we hardly spent any time around her."

Remus cleared his throat and looked at the boys. "She told me something while we were walking outside, you can't say anything because I honestly had no intentions of sharing it with any of you seeing as it's her business. But she shared something personal with me, I guess her way of making things even in her mind. Her cousin had a run-in back some time with Greyback and unfortunately, due to the Lycanthropy she wasn't able to find any work...and she ended up killing herself."

"Merlin!" Peter's eyes widened. "She killed herself, but why?"

"Lycanthropy doesn't only have its physical effects, Peter," Remus told him, " it also has plenty of mental trials to face. Unfortunately, she didn't wish to fight them any longer. She figured her best option at the time was to just end it. "