twenty-one

Pietro carried the girl for what felt like a second, before stopping and setting her down gently.

They stopped before a squadron of police, the units struggling against robots. Wanda went to work on destroying them, while Pietro checked Victoria for wounds.

"Hold your fire!"

Pietro grunted as a bullet hit his bicep, before looking around for the culprit. An officer looked guiltily at his gun, causing Pietro to give him a look.

"You okay?"

"It'll heal soon," Pietro smiled, kissing her head before moving to Wanda. "You good?"

"Yeah, did you get hurt?"

"Me? Get hurt? Never," she sent a look to his bicep, Pietro's eyes following before he gave a guilty smile. "Once."

"Romanoff!"

"Thanks!"

"I'll see you soon," Victoria spoke. "I need to get to Cap to see if Nat's okay."

She ran to the bridge, where she saw Steve and Nat team up to destroy a bot.

There were robots flying up behind the duo. Victoria shot at them, her arrows whisking through the air before lodging themselves into her targets. The arrows, themselves, did nothing until they exploded.

In her peripheral vision, she noticed a robot trying to attack her from behind, and she grabbed an arrow from her sleeve to deal with him.

"Duck!"

Victoria didn't think twice before crouching down. She glanced back at the robot, seeing Steve's shield lodge itself into it's neck, and Steve kicked the body off.

"Thanks, Cap."

"No problem."

Natasha finished off a robot next to Victoria, before grinning at the girl.

"Natasha!" Victoria hugged her Aunt tightly. "Thank the Lord, you're okay!"

"I'm tougher than you think."

They helped usher people into a building for cover, before walking back out to look for stragglers.

"The next wave will hit any minute. What do you got, Stark?"

"Well, nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface, if you guys can get clear."

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan."

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second, we're going to have to make a choice."

"Cap, these people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow this rock—"

"—Not till everyone is safe."

Steve glanced at Natasha and Victoria, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there? There's no math there."

"We're not leaving this rock with one civilian on it."

"I didn't say we should leave. There's worse ways to go."

Victoria looked at the assassin, aghast. She was a kid, and she knew that she signed up for this, but to die so young? She felt the ache in her chest but knew it was necessary.

"Besides," she put an arm around the younger girl. "Where else am I gonna get a view like this?"

"I'm glad you like the view Romanoff, it's about to get a whole lot better."