Chapter 4

ABAGAIL was smiling as she excepted the wrapt gift from her four-year-old cousin. His dark black hair was natural and the same shade as his Mothers, even though hers was fake. But he had the kind brown eyes of no one she had ever seen, the largest smile on his face as she opened the green box to reveal a thin glittering chain.

“Awe, thank you so much Lukie.” She cooed at the four -year-old, lifting him into her lap for a hug. Aunt March snapped a photo of them in smiling. Proud of her boys and girl.

“My turn.” Fred cheered excitedly, six-years-old. He handed his cousin a smaller wrapped box, lilac purple. Ripping it open with both boys in her lap, it opened to reveal a silver feather pendant - all of their names carved onto it. “This is our Mummy’s name, your name - Uncle Fabian's name, Aunt Melody's name - your name, mine and Lukies name.” Abagail teared at her parents names inscribed into the pendant. As her cousins still referred to them as Aunt and Uncle, even if they had never met them. “And here’s room for when you get married - you can put his name there," there was a single place for obviously one last name.

“Thanks you two.” She pressed a kiss to both their cheeks as they smiled. Aunt March and Abagail shared a sad smile with each other - Abagails face tearing as a thank you.

“Come on, school time.” Aunt March grabbed the boys hands and led them out the house to take them away.

Abagail wiped at her eyes - slipping the feather pendant through the gold chain before hooking it around her neck. She had a magnificent wreath of red roses tattooed on her right shoulder blade in memory of her parents - and now she had a necklaces to carry around her loved ones. Dead and alive.

But her mind went back to what Fred had said, "here’s room for when you get married you can put his name here". The boys must have known that on a werewolves seventeenth birthday, they are able to sense their mate. She wasn’t ready to face her mate - the werewolf she was destined to spend the rest of her life with and possibly have pups with. Quickly shutting down the thoughts - but the overwhelming nervousness of it having to be someone she knew set her on edge.

What if it was someone she hated?

What if it was Cameron?

She hated the thought of being in the same room as him - the same pack - but being his mate. She would reject him on the spot. Because if she knew them then they’d know she was trouble and she wasn’t willing to change her cold demeanor for somebodies love. That they wouldn't love her.

So Abagail did the only thing she could do in a situation like this, she pulled out a knife and started to cut lines in her jeans. Making gaping holes in the fabric and being careful not to nick her skin.

The school bus would arrive shortly, meaning another day where people cowered in her presence and where she didn’t care. Her phone ringing caught her attention - mainly the ringtone blaring out curse words did. Answering it instantly she smirked.

“Morning Caden.” She greeted already ready to have the boy celebrating her birthday on the other end.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!” The voices of Caden and his two little sisters rang through causing Abagail to flinch at the loudness. Sammantha and Paige.

“Thank you guys - am I still coming over for dinner?” She asked, already knowing the answer but still wanting to hear it, to remember she was loved, even without her parents.

It was safe to say Abagail hadn’t coped with her parents death well - considering she had only been ten. Even with years having passed, Abagail missed them at an unhealthy rate. From getting tattoos for them, to being completely alone in the world on the day her parents treasured most, knowing that today on her seventeenth birthday was going to be the greatest. They had talked about it years leading up to their sudden passing. That’s what made this day the hardest - Abagail could tell, growing dizzy as she had to focus on her breathing.

All this could have been avoided if her parents weren’t dead. Abagail didn’t like facing the world without them.

 Abagail didn’t like facing the world without them