Chapter Thirty-Six

Eve

            I clutched the handle of my trunk with one hand and Draco's hand with the other, pushing my way past parents hugging their children goodbye as I followed Draco towards the train. Lucius and Narcissa had Apparated us to the parking lot of Kings Cross Station, but had promptly left without much of a goodbye; Draco had appeared to be extremely relieved, so I guessed he hadn't minded much.

            We reached the train in one piece, and Draco helped me load my trunk onto it before moving to put his own on. He took my hand in his once both our trunks were loaded onto the train, looking down at me through the steam and saying, "Alright? Let's find a seat."

            I followed him onto the train a bit nervously, wondering if I was going to see Ginny or Neville. I was hoping I wouldn't have to talk to any of them for as long as possible, because I didn't want to have to lie—especially not to Ginny. I was already dreading the question: How was your summer?

            It became clear that we'd arrived a little late to the station, as most of the compartments appeared to be occupied. I knew Draco was trying to find an empty spot so the two of us could sit alone, but it was starting to look like that wouldn't be possible. Draco sighed with annoyance when he looked inside a promising compartment to see that two first years had already claimed it, rolling his eyes and starting towards the Slytherin end of the train. I followed close behind him, smiling a little as he complained, "I swear, there should be a rule that upper-classmen are allowed to kick anyone out of a seat if they want to. There are first years everywhere—"

            "Hey, Draco! Come sit over here, mate."

             I looked to see that Flint was waving us over, seated at a table by the window. Half expecting to see Zabini sitting somewhere nearby, I cautiously followed Draco over to Flint's table and hoped no one else would attempt to talk to us—speaking with Zabini was not something I could put up with at the moment. As Draco let me slide over to the window seat, he sat down next to me and nodded to Flint. "Hey, mate. Good summer?"

            "Terrible," Flint grinned, the train whistling loudly and lurching into motion. "Dad had me working at the pub every day of the week—and he was there the whole time, so I couldn't even sneak a pint. Good to see you, Eve."

            "You too," I replied, giving him a small smile as the train left the station and sunlight flooded through the windows. I found it a little odd that Flint hadn't automatically asked us how our summer had been, but I decided I was just grateful he hadn't. "Play Quidditch much over the break?"

          "A bit," Flint told me, shrugging. Then he grinned cockily and said, "Not like I need the practice though, eh?"

            Draco rolled his eyes, saying, "You're full of shit, Flint. Is anyone sitting there?"

            He nodded to the empty seat across from him, and I could tell just from his expression that he wanted to know if Zabini was going to sit with us. But Flint told us, "Pansy. She went to find you two, but she'll be back eventually."

            "Why would she be looking for us?" I asked, remembering how much Pansy had despised me last year—although the feeling had been mutual.

            "Dunno," Flint shrugged. "Guess she just wanted to make sure she sat with you."

            I refrained from asking why again, because Flint had turned to Draco and was asking if he'd seen the Quidditch World Cup over the summer. While Draco awkwardly explained that he hadn't and Flint began to describe it in great detail, I glanced around the rest of the train car to see if I knew any other Slytherins here. I could see Goyle and Crabbe sitting at the table diagonal to us, and as I glanced over at them both, I saw Zabini enter the compartment and sit at their table.